Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores

Ch.3- Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores

"You can't be mad at me for this... I have other responsibilities. Ones more important then taking the time out of my day to visit you." He spoke, his voice that of an scolding father.

Though he was in no way her father... rather her own brother who once more was making up excuses for his own lack of care towards her. The girl who pouted near him turned her head, looking away and holding her head up high.

"I don't care! You promised!" She cried out, pointing an accusing finger at him. "You said you'd come and you didn't!"

The male sighed, shaking his head. He collected the items he had brought for her, the box of teas he assumed she'd enjoy from his latest outing into one of the larger trading centers tucked back into his own bag.

"Listen... I'm not the only one who has better and more important matters to attend to... you do too. So if you're not going to appreciate the time I'm giving you now... well you can stay here and be mad by yourself."

He got up, grabbing his things and walking towards the door. He paused, looking back at the girl who hadn't moved at all. Her face still sour and her eyes stern and angry at him. He sighed, shaking his head and closing the door behind him as he left.

The girl merely gripped her hands together, her fingernails digging viciously into her skin as she attempted to control the pain inside of her chest. All he ever spoke of now was being responsible... and accepting the role she was born into.

But he couldn't tie her down to this... none of them could. And eventually... she'd do whatever the hell she pleased and would never have to bend over for their whims and desires again.

And when she did... it would be he who would have to beg her to come and see him.

~~~~~

Your eyes fluttered open, your cheeks feeling slightly damp from the memory that had suddenly appeared again in your mind. One so pushed back that you had wished it stayed there. The emotional implications of such a memory was what worried you... as you had refused to think about life from before.

For now and forever... it was only you and you alone. It had been that way for a while anyway... and you enjoyed it with all your heart. With no one around, you could do as you pleased, and most importantly you could do all the things you should have done and deserved to do. And just because you did them alone in no way meant you were a lonely being at heart. Sometimes isolation was good! Sometimes being on your own was the best of times.

"Oh hey, you're awake!"

The voice shattered your ideas of solitude as it bounced off the wooden and fabric walls surrounding you. Your eyes immediately falling on a male who was resting on a pile of pillows not too far away from you. His red hair glistening in the dim lighting from a flame or two scattered along the room. On his lap sat a board, a piece of paper and ink on it with various scribbles sprawled across.

The red eyed male seemed to take notice of your wandering and untrustworthy eyes on him, and while he was thankful you didn't scream when he made his presence know... he knew he should try and give you a bit more of a proper welcome... if not an explanation.

He cleared his throat, rising to his feet and walking towards you. With a wide and friendly grin that shone brighter than the fire lights in the room, he held out his hand towards you. You watched him carefully, instead rising to your feet on your own. The male retracted his hand, not seeming hurt at all that you denied his help to bring you to your feet once more.