Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Ch.15- Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

(AN- Anyone spoiling the story at any part will have their comment deleted. Spoiling the story for other's isn't cool, and it's kinda upsetting to have to address this in the first place since it's started to appear in this book as of late. Reading the story and finding out the reveals yourself provides a much more enjoyable experience. So please don't ruin the story or the fun of reading for yourself and others by spoiling. Enjoy the read every one.)

The woman in front of you jumped from the snow-white chair she had been sitting on, her knees bending over as she begged you once more. Her eyes were struck with tears and her mouth repeating the same sentence over and over again.

"Please... just allow me to see my baby once." She cried out, her words becoming less and less coherent as the tears started to hit the reflective floor under her.

"I-I'm sorry..." You spoke, a hint of sadness in your voice. "I can't do that... your time has already passed."

"Please! Have some humanity!" She burst forward, reaching to grab the goddess in white and black in front of her.

You yelped and activated the reincarnation spell as the woman nearly grazed her fingers against your long dress. The female let out one more powerful cry as she turned into bubbles of light before being sent back down to the world below.

With a shaking hand, you quickly changed the intended life cycle before anyone could notice. And with a sad glance at her old file, the words of how a loss of blood during childbirth was enough for you to wish you could change the rules that were currently ruling your existence.

"That was awfully kind of you..." The door to your chambers opened up, a woman with snow-white hair and gills on her neck came in.

"Pilo... I-"

Your sister held up her hand, moving the file of the reincarnated woman over to where she stood. Her white eyes scanned over the changes you had made to the planned out timeline of her new life. The fish goddess sighed towards the snake, coming forward.

"Reincarnated into her daughter's next door neighbor. They'll become best friends growing up to which her daughter will see her reincarnate as a mother-like friend... Ophelia..."

Pilo's lips were pressed into a frown, but as she sighed, you knew there was something else she had caught onto. And with a nod, you saw as her eyes lightened up towards your obedience.

"I shall not mess with another destined life cycle then... no shortening, lengthening or changing the cycle. I promise." You bowed to the the elder Goddess, watching as she smiled kindly towards you.

"You will anyway... you're much too close to these mortals after all." She sighed. "Though I suppose that's what happens when you're the only one of us that's supposed to deal with them."

You nodded, and then quickly glanced up to your sister once more. "Lady Pilo, may I ask you a question?"

She nodded, waving her hand for you to carry on with your inquiry. You smiled brightly to your sister, happy to see that she was giving you the time on this day... when usually you'd be on your own for months simply running the life cycles and reincarnation cycles of the mortals below.

"Why am I the only one who handles the mortals? Specifically, the ones who have come to develop free will? I do not control the animals or plants... is there a reason this job was meant for me and only me?"