Sparks by the Water (Pt 4)

Hello! This has been a series that many have enjoyed and I have been largely requested to do a part 4. I've been slowly eating my tub of strawberry ice cream as I write this X,D Anyway, enjoy the read <3!

Ship: Thorin x (mermaid) reader

                                                                                             ----

It didn't take more than a few weeks before Thorin's resolve had broke and had made you his, taking you during the blissful moonlight with shining silver court beads hanging neatly from the braids in your hair. If it wasn't for being on the road traveling all of the time, you truly think he would've kept you in bed for days, pinning you up against-

"(y/n)? Are you listening?" You blushed as you were shaken out of your not so innocent daydreaming, turning your gaze back to Oin, who wore a sly smirk on his face; the regularly reserved dwarf looking rather cheeky. Clearing your throat you trained your full attention, "Yes, of course, I just..drifted off somewhat." You could tell he knew it was a lie, especially with your normal (s/c) skin being a flushed rose color, but thankfully the elderly dwarf didn't push it.

He shifted his hearing trumpet as he smiled warmly at you," Well, my diagnostic is quite clear: nausea, dizziness, weakness, and tenderness around your midsection, it's something I've seen many times." You nodded anxiously as you gripped your hands tighter, worried for the answer that would come out. 

"I believe congrats are in order miss (y/n), you are with child! It's always wonderful for me to give the news, I think Thorin will be quite pleased! Don't you think?" You sat there in shock, your mouth open and your eyes wide. Pregnant? Right now during the quest? What if Thorin didn't want children? What if he made you stay behind? What if-

"Hey, hey calm down now lass, it's alright." Oin was cooing you back to reality as you realized you had started shaking in panic. You put your hands over your still flat belly, a quiver in your voice. "It's not alright Oin! I can't have a child while on such a dangerous journey, let alone think about giving birth in the wilderness! I know Thorin, he will be too protective and will want to leave me in a safe place, and I would be forced to bring my child into the world alone and without the knowledge that their father is still alive!" You shouted, sharply standing up to rush into the forest.

Your breathing was labored and panicked, your (h/l) (h/c) hair flinging about as you searched for a source of water. It didn't take you long to find a small stream deep enough to submerge yourself in. You didn't hesitate as you threw off your clothes and the few weapons Thorin had gifted you, gently setting them down. You dove in the water, the cold instantly calming down your racing heart.

The shift was effortless as your true form took over, your long pearly (f/c) tail easily propelling you through the murky water. Finding an algae-covered rock at the bottom, you sat down, a hand propping you up and the other cradling your stomach. Exhaling air bubbles in frustration you mulled over the startling information. As a waterfay, you had the power to prolong your pregnancy until you could find a safe place, but even then you weren't sure how long the journey would last; let alone how much your magic could hold up.

You knew you'd eventually have to tell Thorin, it wasn't fair to keep such a thing hidden- but the real problem is how he would react to the news. As you imagined different scenarios you could feel the vibration of the water moving, a large sound echoing through the stillness of the water. In confusion, you turned your gaze up to the surface of the water, your (e/c) eyes widening in shock.

Bursting through the water, you spotted the hazy outline of someone. They swam up to you, grabbing your hand and swimming up with you to the surface. Breathing in the cool fresh air you looked at your soulmate in confusion. "Thorin? Why did you come to get me?" You easily helped him to the shore, using some of your magic to dry his soaking clothes and hair, even though you were tempted to leave him like that to admire your view.

"Oin told me that you had gone to see him and had abruptly run off, I had known you would go to the water to cool down. My love, what is wrong, are you ill?" He cupped your cheeks lovingly, his worried eyes scanning over you. Sighing you transformed back, putting on your clothes while Thorin looked at you expectantly. "Thorin... I don't really know how to say this, let alone know how you will react..." You slumped your shoulders as he took you into his strong arms, his large hand resting on the back of your head to stroke your hair.

"Whatever it is we can get through this together, please tell me, I could never get angry at you my One." He said softly, his deep velvety voice calming down your nerves. Grasping what courage you could muster, you clung to his fur cloak for comfort, "I'm... I'm pregnant Thorin, were pregnant with a child." You quietly mumbled out.

He was stiff and silent, the fear bubbling up your throat as you waited for a response. Was he disappointed? Did he even want children with you? You gulped hard as you fought back the intrusive thoughts, the sensation of tears welling up in your glossy (e/c) eyes. Suddenly, he picked you up to twirl you like a princess, his deep booming laugh resounding through the trees, your surprised squeal joining in.

"I never thought I would hear those words! Mahal (y/n), I'm so happy!!" He shouted, finally putting you down on the ground to take your lips in a passionate kiss. As he tenderly parted from you with a goofy smile on his face, you breathed out a sigh of relief. "I didn't know how you were going to react, I was so scared you didn't want children or would leave me behind!" You said breathlessly, all of the fear that previously was within you easily dissipated.

His brows furrowed as he stared at you. "Amrâlimê, I would never leave you behind; especially knowing that you carry our child. Before I met you, I didn't want children." He stated, eyeing you deeply," But after setting my eyes on you, I knew I wanted a family, however, I never expected I would be lucky enough to start a family with you." You sighed in relief, laying your head against his chest as he carried you back to camp, a smile on his face. "You've always sparked life into my world my love, and now together, we have sparked something beautiful."