Chapter 7

The next day I walked to school still limping a little and of course Mercedes being the o' so wonderful friend she is pointed it out. 

"Mason, what the hell happened to you? You look like you've been hit by a bus. Twice." Wow thanks, buddy. I can always count on you. I tried to ignore her by walking away faster but that only made me cringe in pan because my ribs still hurt like bitch and to top it off, since my nose is still broken, I can't talk because the movement makes my nose hurt so I just shook my head hoping she would get that I can't and don't want to talk but like always, she didn't listen. 

"Dude, why the hell do you keep ignoring me? Did I do something wrong? Mason? Answer me fool!" I sighed in annoyance as I sat down in my seat, waiting on the teacher to come and start the lesson but she was running late, all good reasons for Mercedes to keep bothering me. After 10 minutes of her constantly talking, I carefully bent over to my bag, careful of my ribs still, and pulled out a notepad where on it I wrote

'I broke my nose again so I can't talk. Remember how I broke it before? That's why I look like I was hit by a bus' She read it over, her face etching into one of concern. She looked up with a sympathetic look on her face.

"Your dad did all of this?" In response I wrote on the paper 'The one and only'. I could tell she was going to respond again but our teacher came in so she reluctantly turned around in her seat, giving me worried glances every now and then, but I tried to ignore them the best I can. The bell rang, interrupting our note taking. I put my supplies away in bag and zipped it, carefully putting it on my back and painfully getting up. Mercedes was by me in a second, supporting me up. 

"Here, let me help you Mason, You look like you're really hurt." I waved her off, not wanting to seem like a wimp but I bet my wimp wasn't helping me at all. After I was all ready to go, I hooked my arm with hers, halfway because we always did this and halfway because I didn't need beating by anyone else today. With her by my side, nobody comes within 10 feet of me. 

She's kind of scary..

We slowly walked to lunch, sitting at our normal outside table under the big oak tree that was dedicated to our old principle who apparently died of cancer. Didn't know her so I didn't really care either. I mean it's sad that she died but I never new her so I'm not going to grieve over her like some people in this school still do. I sat down, again wincing at my ribs and kind of my legs since they were kicked alot and this walking isn't help me at all. 

Mercedes offered to get our lunch and I just simply nodded, already tired out from the day and it's barely halfway over. I leaned my head back agaisn't the tree, eye closed as I savored the sounds of nature all around me. I felt a vibration in my pants and I took out my phone to see a text message from Spencer. His name caused me to smile a bit but not too big since my nose still hurt. 

From: Sexy Overlord ( he picked that name not me..)
Hey, what's up? Are you still in school? 

I  put on a face of confusion, wondering why he wanted to know but didn't think too much of it before I replied 

To: Sexy Overlord
Um yea I am, I'm at lunch, why? 

My phone vibrated again, notifying me I have a new message which it shouldn't of since I'm just on my phone now. 

From: Sexy Overlord
You're sitting up against that big oak tree, right? 

If I was confused before, I am now. How in the world did he know I saw by the oak tree, better yet sitting up against it? I shook my head, getting rid of the crazy thoughts entering my head before I replied.