Chapter Five

"One day someone will hug you so strong that it will put together all the pieces."

~Anonymous

Hunter

It had taken me twelve minutes to assure my father that nothing would happen and that meeting up with Alex was a good idea. Truth be told, I was still angry with him, but something about his voice made me want to see him. Something in his voice filled me with worry and alert. Darkness had swallowed almost all sources of light, but the park was in the middle of the town and I doubted an ax murderer would show up.

The fountain Alex had described was dirty and disgusting and not many kids hung out there. Maybe he met up there with his dealer. No. I shook my head trying to get that idea out of my head and kept on walking. From the distance I saw a figure that looked like Alex. He was alone and he was pacing. Was that because he had been waiting for me or had something else happened? Was his family that bad? He saw me head up to him and let out a sigh of relief.

"I'm glad you came," he said and looked around. I followed his gaze and saw a mother with her five-year-old son. "Come on, let's go somewhere else," he said making me raise my eyebrows.

"Yes, I'm sure the kid's stuffed polar bear knows we're both into dicks..." I replied, voice flat and annoyed. His gaze fell on me and I detected fear in his features.

"That woman is one of my mother's book club buddies. I'd prefer if she didn't see me with my school's gay guy," he said in a hushed voice. My eyes stayed on him until I finally gave up.

He walked through some bushes that lied next to the fountain and cursing through my mind I followed him. At last, we reached an opening, surrounded by tall bushes, with a big sycamore tree. I watched as Alex sat down by the tree's trunk and covered his face in his palms.

"What hap-" I started, but he cut me off.

"I kind of tossed the idea. I guess. Hunt, I can't... I..." his voice cracked and he stopped talking. Immediately, whatever anger I felt dispensed and I crouched next to him.

"Hey, hey, tell me what happened," I spoke softly. I reached out and grabbed him by the wrists, but I didn't force him to look at me; I didn't pull his hands away.

"They asked me about my bruise. And I told them I tried stopping a fight. And they kept pressing on the matter until I told them the fight was between Matt and you... well, between Matt and a gay guy," he explained, a small sob escaping from his lips.

"And then...?" I urged. He seemed so vulnerable as if with one wrong word he would break down.

"And then they said it's a sin and sick and my father started citing bible verses. They'll never accept me," he went on shaking his head.

"Have you...?" I asked. "Have you accepted yourself?" I felt his wrists go limp in my hands and I let him go so he could lower them. Taking a deep breath, he brought his knees up to his chest.

"I think I have..." he muttered and looked at me through half-lidded eyes.

"You think...?" I asked with a crooked smile.

Gently, I reached out and brought my hand close to his cheek. He watched my every move and when I didn't touch him, he let out a silent sob and leaned towards my hand. As soon as I saw him lean to me, I pulled him into a hug and lost myself in his smell. He smelled like coconut and white lotus and I found myself never wanting to smell anything else in my life.

"I... I've never before looked at a guy like this. Maybe a part of me knew, but I realized I liked guys -what- eighteen hours ago?" I pulled back to look at him in the eyes as he talked.