Chapter Thirty-five

"You're the type of person that makes forever seem too short".

~A.L.

Alex

"So, when did your bond form?" my mother asked me, as she sat down across from Aaron and me. Aunt Claire took the seat next to her, her eyes never once leaving me.

"It was October 12th. The day before Matt got into a fight with Hunter," I answered, my shoulders slumping down. She frowned at me and clasped her hands on her lap.

"I understand why you didn't tell your father... but why didn't you tell me?" she finally asked.

"What proof did I have that you would accept it? How could I tell you I was bisexual when every time the topic of LGBTQ people and rights came up you took dad's side?" I snapped back, a pinch of guilt coursing through my body. Her expressions softened as if she finally heard what I was telling her.

"And you knew?" my mom asked Aunt Claire.

"I found out a little over a month ago, by accident," my aunt replied, shedding me a grin. I smiled back, more bitterly, and turned back to my mother.

"I didn't want to keep it a secret. I was... I was just scared," I told her with a sharp exhale.

"I'm so sorry that you had to be scared of us," she immediately said and covered her face with her palms. "God, I feel so ashamed for not realizing before. I failed as a parent..."

"Pamela –it's Pamela, right?" Aaron interfered. My mother looked up and nodded with a solemn gaze. "We didn't get formally introduced, my name's Aaron Anderson, I'm Hunter's father. I'm sorry for having met in such a way, but I can't stand homophobes, especially those who are after my own family". He extended his hand, which my mother gladly shook. "You haven't failed. You may have messed up a few times, but it can be fixed, as long as both of you are willing to fix it". I nodded, looking straight at my mother.

While I didn't have the best relationship with my family, my mother was the only one who had tried to reach out to me. She had been the only one so far to have tried to have a calm conversation with me. I never wanted to lose my family, not like this. Part of me knew that once my relationship with Hunter came out it would be hard to stay in touch with my father and Chris. But my mother was a completely different variable.

"I don't want to lose you..." she finally muttered and reached out to take my hands in hers. "Even if that means that I'm going to have to stand by you choosing this way of living".

My face fell and I pulled my hands away from hers. Was she being serious?

"I didn't choose this. Falling in love with Hunter wasn't a choice. Being bisexual isn't a choice. This 'way of living' is just as normal as yours. And while I don't want to lose you, you can't be in my life until you understand that".

Tears had begun to fill my eyes and exhaling deep I stood up. My gaze fell on my hands, which still had some of Hunter's blood on them, and without saying anything I stood up, turned around and went to the toilets to wash up.

As I was washing up someone opened the door and Don appeared with a somber expression. I eyed him dangerously and then spoke up.

"What do you want?" I asked, harsher than I intended.

"Hunter's father told me I'd find you here. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for everything that happened. And if it's any consolation, we are all done with Matt," he said, walking closer to me. I sniffled and dried my hands. "Also, I'm sorry about coming to the conclusion that you liked me, and for kissing you... what Beth and I did was horrible and I completely understand if you don't want to see us again," he went on.