Chapter Twelve

"You put your arms around me and I'm home".

~Christina Perri

Alex

My father's sister, Aunt Claire, a quiet woman with strong opinions, was a homicide detective. She had joined the police force, out of spite towards my father, since he looked down on women on the police force. By now she loved her profession. She, alongside my grandfather, were amongst the few family members I could stand. Sadly, she couldn't come today.

The aunt, that arrived last night, was an extrovert who stuck her nose in everyone's business. Aunt Susan, who was a CFO at some make-up factory, had come along with her two kids -her husband, Lucas, coming today. Her kids, twelve-year-old girl Sarah and seven-year-old Balthazar, were both stubborn and entitled.

And of course, my mother's family was flying in from New York. My grandparents, an elderly couple who judged everything, were about to arrive. And I was contemplating whether to raid our liquor cabinet.

Spent a day with my relatives or get murdered by my father?

Getting murdered seemed rather appealing right about now.

My mother's brother Sean was also coming; a widowed family man, and his three children, Alexa, Riley, and Paul. They were, respectively, five, nine and fourteen years old. Five years ago their mother had died from a car crash, on her seventh month of pregnancy. She hadn't survived, but the doctors were able to save sweet, little Alexa. From the whole bunch, Alexa was the one closest to me.

She loved to hear me play music -not that the others didn't- but Alexa... she loved it. To some extent, I saw the passion I possessed in her eyes when she watched me. The others had an average expression of awe when they saw my fingers dance over the piano keys.

"I don't like it," Sarah said examining me, or should I say, my hair. I tried so hard to not roll my eyes until I saw my brain. Yes, sweetheart, I didn't do it for you. "I mean, I get the appeal of colored hair -it's different. But yours is ugly". I smiled with anger at her, clasping my hands together so I couldn't do anything I'd regret. She was not even twelve, yet she had the attitude of a forty-year-old soccer mom. Annoying little brat.

"And it's so long... it's girly," Bal added, taking -as usual- his big sister's side.

"Hair is hair, it doesn't matter if it's long or short," I told him, with a flat voice. Both children gave me a hard glare. My hair wasn't even that long. It barely reached my jawline.

"Kids stop berating your cousin. We're here to celebrate his birthday," their mother scolded, moving her wine glass to her lips. "Though, why did you color your hair?" she asked, sitting down next to me. We hadn't seen each other for the better part of two years, and two years ago my hair still had its natural color. I had in fact colored my hair a year and a half ago.

"He wanted to rebel!" said Chris, who came up behind me, messing up my hair. I had almost forgotten he would be joining us.

"No, I was in the mood for a change," I corrected and pushed his hands off me.

"Hm," Aunt Susan muttered with a sideways glance and lots of judgment. Oh, shut up already!

"Alex? Happy birthday!" a soft feminine voice called, and I turned to look at Anna, my brother's official girlfriend. I rose and returned the hug she offered. Finally, someone I liked.

"Thank you," I told her and pulled her to come and sit down next to me. I hoped my expression made it clear to her that I needed saving.

"So, how's school?" Anna asked, making Aunt Susan nod along, as she wanted to hear the answer too.