Part 5 - Better than expected

Sam woke up to find Dylan resting on her shoulder. She looked down at him and smiled, remembering the old times. Dylan opened his eyes and rose his head to look at Sam who was still smiling.

"Morning!" Sam winked

"Good morning" Dylan said as he sat up

"Did you have a good time last night, at the pub?" Sam asked

"It was better than expected" Dylan answered

"Good!" Sam sat up and faced him

"How's your headache?" Dylan asked

"Throbbing!" Sam laughed

"That's what you get for being a lightweight" Dylan smiled

"Me! Lightweight!?" Sam playfully pushed him back on the sofa

They decided that they should get off to work. They walked in together under the watchful eye of Zoe. She has noticed a change in Dylan since Sam has come, a charming, soft side that he has never shown in the ed.

Nick Jordan hot footed it down the stairs and called for a staff meeting.

"I have just been asked for two doctors to go out with the paramedics. There has been a tunnel collapsed and there is still a massive danger of the rest of the wall toppling. Any volunteers?" Nick looked around

Sam stepped forward, closely followed by Dylan.

"Right, you two, go and get changed and meet Jeff and Dixie out at the front in 2 minutes"

Dylan and Sam rushed off and quickly made their way to the paramedics. They sat in the back of the ambulance listening to the information coming through about the casualties. Two patients have already been saved but their is still two more under the rubble. Dixie is going to be driving the saved patients back while the others save the stick two.

They arrived and Dylan and Sam went straight to the stuck patients while Jeff helped the others into the ambulance.

"Hello I'm Sam, I'm a doctor. What is your name?" She said through a gap in the rubble

"Andy" he called up

"How old are you Andy?" Sam shouted down again

"19"

"Ok, stay put, we are going to get you out of here"

At the other end of the debris Dylan was trying to free his patient. She was unresponsive and had no radial pulse on her wrist which suggested to Dylan that it was broken. He looked up and saw how unsteady the rest of the wall was but carried on saving his patient.