Part 28 - Last time

Dylan heaved himself out of bed. The sunlight made his vision foggy until he splashed water on his face. He looked up at the mirror and just stared into his own eyes, becoming lost in himself. He came round and realised he had to get ready. It was Sam's funeral today. Dylan put on his suit and Sam's favourite tie - the black one with thin grey stripes.

At the church he was met by Dixie.

"Hey love, how are you?" She said

"I'm alright at the moment" Dylan nodded

"Good man" Dixie smiled then walked back over to Jeff

Dylan made his way into the church and took a pew. The church then filled with many people. It felt like an eternity for Dylan, waiting for the organ to play and the coffin to be brought in. When it did though, everyone stood up. Charlie, Jeff, Tom, Fletch, Nick and Norman brought her in, silent and in sinc.

Dylan looked up to the stain glass window, trying not to shed a tear. He failed. As soon as one tear dropped, so did another, and another.

Dylan didn't take much notice of what the vicar had to say. He had never been that religious anyway. He was trying to focus on the good times, short as they were. He thought about how he felt when she came back - shocked, relieved, angry, hopeful, in love. All were unexpected feelings.

He got up to say a few words about Sam, "Thank you for coming. As you are aware, Sam was brave. The bravest person I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. She was kind, caring, protective and loving. She had a place in her heart for everyone, even if she wouldn't admit it. Keep a place in your hearts for Sam. She deserved everything"

Outside, they lowered the coffin. Everyone watched as Sam was laid into the gaping hole. The vicar said more words and prayers, again Dylan ignored them. He looked into the sky, hoping that something would distract him from the tears. It was time to bury her and Dylan had the job of scattering the first handful of soil. He grabbed a handful of the rough, dry soil and dropped it aimlessly onto the wooden box. He turned away, following everyone else, knowing that this is the last time he will be close to Sam.