fourteen

Caden's P.O.V.

I watched Simon run off from the park, and I was stunned. Why didn't he wait around for my answer? What was wrong? I was going to say yes too, and then maybe I could have asked him to the movies or something.

I got off the bench and kicked around some gravel while heading towards my street. My mom and dad were already home when I unlocked the door. Their stares landed on my puffy red eyes, and the excused me from my absence from school and home. I mostly looked at my mother, who seems to grow paler and skinnier every hour. I trudged slowly up the steps after I nodded to my parents; If I stared at them any longer tears would have rebelled against my wishes and started falling. My bedroom door was open, along with the window. A cool gust blew my slightly shaggy hair a little. I needed to get it cut.

I sat on the edge if my bed and stared at the wall for what seemed like a couple hours. A car horn outside my window brought me back to reality from my thoughts, and I looked out the window to see my neighbor pulling in. Her name was Becky, and she worked the late nurse's shift at the Children's Hospital in town. If she's home it must mean it's almost three in the morning.

It wasn't like I was going to sleep anytime soon, so I pulled on my shoes and decided to visit the park. The night was cool, and street lights lit the sidewalk up to the little path to the park that rested in between patches of trees. Before I stepped all the way through, I heard two voices- one that sounded vaguely familiar, and another that was new. I only caught a few words here and there, but I wasn't sure why I was spying.

"Wait!" The less familiar voice beckoned after jumping of his swing, "Do you have a phone? So we can tell each other what happens?"

"Oh. Yeah. I do. Here, give me yours and I'll put my number in it." The boy with the familiar voice typed his number into the other boy's iPhone.

"See ya!" The unfamiliar voice started to run off.

"Bye!" The familiar voice started walking my way, and I hid in the trees. When he passed me, I realized it was Simon.

What is Simon doing out so late? And why was he talking to that guy? Tell each other what? What is going on? Is Simon- is he cheating on me? I thought we were pretty much together? Is that the reason he didn't stick around for my answer? Because he didn't want to hurt me? After Simon had gone down his street I ran home and into my room. I threw my shoes at the foot of my bed, and then fell over on top of my pillows. I hugged one of them and stared at the wall trying to not allow my heart to break, although it already had. Simon, I thought. Why would you do this to me?