Chapter 14: Shadow

Janu POV.

The big old tree was swaying in the strong wind like a weightless kite. I kept watching it from the big window.

The shadow of that tree fell into Eve's guest bedroom, adding a spooky effect into my night.
Suddenly, I started shivering. I pulled up the blanket up to my ears.
There is this permanent coldness within me that I couldn't shake off since that night. The night I left the house, five days ago.
I initially planned to spend the night at Murat's house, but I changed my mind last minute.
"BAAAAAAAAAM"
"AAAAHHHHH" I let out a petrified shriek and covered my head with covers.
When I peaked above the covers, I saw the window open. It sprang wide open from the strong wind.
I got off the bed and went to close the window. And very much like that window, I was closing everyone out.
*

I got out of bed at sunrise, giving up for rest wasn't destined to be a part of my night.
It was the day of the trial, but I was drained in all forms physically, mentally, and emotionally.
I sat by edge of Eve's bathtub as I waited for the water to warm up.
I need to prepare myself well for today.
I finally dipped my body slowly into the warm water.
I leaned my head back then imeresed my entire body under the water, my head included.
Under that clear surface, I felt some peace as I let go. As I let out a suffocated cry.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
I pulled myself from under the water gasping for air.
I could hear my heartbeat in my ears as I leaned my forehead against my arm.
I started to breathe loudly.
I was still for the longest time.

Then a hunch caught me.
Today will be a very very long day.
*

"Din-Dong" the bell sounded.
"Just a minute Murat" I said clipping on my earnings in front of the mirror.
We agreed to meet for the trial, but at his place.
Weird!
I straightened my navy dress before walking away from the long mirror in the hallway.
I walked to the door grunting at the peach colored heels I am wearing. They aren't comfortable at all, but they look cute.
I opened the door and to my utter shook it was my father with my niece, Toska.
"Baba!!!" I exclaimed then went on to hug him.
After that I leaned down to the princess model next to him to kiss her.
"She wanted to see you." My father announced. I looked up at him. "*Ama neden?!" I said raising an eyebrow at her.
"*Cünkü, I want to cheer you on. You are a good person helping to this poor woman."
I laughed at her innocent thought then replied with "Not entirely, but okay."
She then placed a hand on my cheek and said "I like your make up but I am more beautiful than you will ever be."
"*PES! PES! I give up!!!' I exclaimed 'Even on my day you want the spotlight on you?! Ama *tamam take it all, I don't care."
"Ama I am a nice girl. I brought you my favorite Frozen pin." She said with a grin holding out a blue iceflake pin to me.
I smiled at the pin in her hand then back up at her. I gave her a tight hug.
She is the proudest model but she knows the way to my heart.
"You are suffocating me." She said as I held her.
"*Kizim are you okay?!" My father asked in a worried tone.
"*Evet! Baba I am okay." I said as I let go of Toska then looked up smiling at my father.
"Where do you want me to put it?!" I asked her.
She pointed to my left side and I did as she said.
"We thought we might grab breakfast with you." My father said happily.
"Oh no! I wish, but I have to meet Murat in a bit." I half lied.
"Tamam may be later, then?!" He asked.
"Evet why not?! Ama I have to run now Baba. *Küçük hanım I will be wearing this pin to court tamam." I said winking at her.
"Teyzem"
"*Efendim teyzemin *askim." I responded back.
"You have to win today, tamam.' I nodded as she went on 'I gave you my pin, make Elsa and seni Toska proud. Tamam"
"*Tabiki! I will win. I promise"
I collected my things as my father and Toska waited on me.
"Dede why is Teyzem staying in here?! Why not back in your house?!" I overheard Toska ask my dad as I went to grab my sneakers from the bedroom. I can't do heels for an entire day, especially these.