part 1

One year before...

"Would a man still love a woman,when he knows that she may never fulfill his desires?" she wrote the latest entry in her diary, addressed to no one in particular, before going back to sleep. Sometimes, she penned down her random thoughts and, this is one of them. She shook her head in resignation-no man has the power to love like that, and she is destined to be alone. No point of thinking about something which is next to impossible. Better to sleep early, so that she can wake up before sunrise, and go to the park. She switched off the lights and slept.

***

It was nearly five am in the morning. ACP Rajveer came out from his office and looked at his wrist watch. He had been working on a high profile case since three days without taking any rest. The minister related to the case has tried to pressurise him using all possible methods but he gave a damn about it. His reputation is enough for most people to understand that once he had set his mind on something, nothing can sway him. That old fool thought that money or power could lure him to betray his principles. What that dimwit did not understand was, he neither had greed for wealth nor feared for his life. There was nothing in this world which he feared losing. His only aim is to do total justice to his job, and that he would do at any cost.

He had asked his team members to leave in the night itself, as he knows that their family members must be waiting for them. He drove the car towards his apartment .The security guard saluted at him and opened the main gate. He entered his flat and looked around. Every corner of the flat has the look of simplicity and elegance, just the way, he always preferred. It had everything he wanted, but lacked only one thing...it did not have the power to lure him to reach his house early. It is just a place to take rest; it does not have the warmth of a home.

He looked at the awards and medals shining behind the glass cup board. At a young age, he had achieved what he had always dreamed of. He had a job which helped him to contribute to the society, there is no lack of money, yet there is something missing. His best friend and his colleague Paarth, had tried many times to set him up with girls, but he did not had any interest in them. They did not made him feel anything, that remotely resembled to attraction. He never felt the need for any woman in his life. May be, he is becoming like a work-holic but he is happy to stay this way, than be with someone whom he doesn't care for.

It is already morning-sleep has evaded him and he decided that it was better to go for exercise than staying at house. He changed his clothes and left.

He started jogging and entered the park nearby his locality. The cool, early morning breeze and the chirping of birds, the slight sway of the leaves were rejuvenating his mind and body. The slight chill in the wind during early morning hours felt so refreshing, in the hot summer season. The sunlight reflecting from the ripples of the water in the fountain at the centre of the park was giving it an unearthly aura. He observed that there were very few people in the park at this time.

He was taking a break by relaxing on a bench and enjoying the scenery, when his eyes travelled towards the other side of the fountain and then refused to move from the sight there. There was a girl sitting on the bench at the opposite side of the fountain. Her violet coloured dupatta was flowing in the wind and the breeze made her tresses sway gently. Some of the strands were flowing on her face. She has folded her legs and wrapped her arms around her knees. There was something about her posture that caught his attention.

It was as though, she was shielding herself and her thoughts from the world and nobody can penetrate her inner circle. For a moment, he thought that she was staring at him and for one second his breath hitched slightly but on further inspection, he understood that she was staring right at the fountain, lost in her thoughts.