Part 22

Kamla turned to her 'You have done enough for today. Go to home now,' she ordered. Vaishali left from there without a word. Now-a-days, she is busy spending time with her friends, having outings at their houses and started avoiding spending time with her mother afraid that, she would ask her about her studies. She was so confident about Raj's life that she did not bother to find out about the recent happenings. She waited eagerly for her mother to come back, so that she could ask her about Neeta.

***

Neeta came into the hall to see Raj studying a case file sitting on the sofa. She came and sat near him."Raj! Are you free in the evening today?"

'Why, Neeta?' He asked without lifting his head from the file.

'I have heard that the exhibition has been opened yesterday. Every year, I visit it. I love to go on the giant wheel. Let us go in the evening.' She rarely gets excited about something-exhibition is one of those few things which she loves.

There was no reply from Raj. 'Raj! Are you listening to me?' He only nodded in response.

She got irritated now. She shook his shoulder hard this time. 'Raj! Are you coming or not?'

'No Neeta! I am busy today. We are not kids to go for exhibition.'

Actually, Raj was only acting indifferent to irritate her. He hid his smile seeing her irritation. He loved to bring out her childish side as he knows that it is only with him, that she is comfortable enough to demand anything without any hesitation.

She got angry at his attitude.' Fine.Don't come. I don't need you anyway. I will go by myself. You stay with your files.' She stood up to leave and took a step when Raj caught her hand and dragged her back to the sofa. Due to the force, she fell back landing softly beside him, his body was touching hers. He put an arm around her pulling her closer to him." So, you don't need me," his voice was deep and low.

Neeta looked at him, her anger evaporating quickly," Raj! I didn't mean ..." -but I need you Neeta," the sincerity in his voice shook her.

He never showed any ego or pride where she is concerned. He voiced out his feelings, kept his heart at stake even when he did not get anything in return. It must hurt like hell, but he never shows it. How does he do that? She wondered. Raj saw her deep in thoughts and took her hand in his. "We will leave at seven in the evening," he smiled at her.

'But just now, you said that you are busy.'

'I was just teasing you. Can I ever deny you anything which you want?'

"So, you were irritating me purposefully," she whacked his shoulder.

'I can't help it. You look adorable when you are irritated.' She turned away her face angrily.

The next sentence which he spoke made her speechless-"At least, whenever you are angry on me, you show you're right on me."

She felt a sharp pang of guilt. He is trying to find happiness in these mere scraps of her feelings, he is cherishing even her anger....What is she doing to him?

'Okay. I have to go now. I will be ready by seven,' she got up and left to her room.

Raj was persuading her to let him buy some more stuff for her but Neeta is denying everything. She is just content with watching. "Raj! You know that I am not that interested in shopping clothes or jewellery. Leave it."

She dragged him to the ice cream stall. There were so many people waiting already and he asked her to wait there and went to the counter to order.

Neeta's eyes fell on the stall opposite to her. They were carving names on key chains with different models and designs. She saw different couples placing orders to engrave their names and she did not know why but suddenly on an impulse, she asked them to engrave 'RN' on it. She looked at their initials engraved in red coloured heart shape deign and felt an inexplicable happiness. Raj came with the cones a saw Neeta at the opposite stall. He went to her and called her. Neeta turned and immediately dropped the keychain in her bag. He saw the designs and asked her." Do you want something?"

"No! I was just checking the models. Let's go."

They were walking around when Neeta's foot fell on something sharp and she stumbled. Raj immediately supported her, holding her securely with one arm. Neeta placed a hand on his shoulder and lifted her leg to see that a sharp iron nail has pierced her sandal. He bent down on one knee to check whether she was hurt. He was relieved to see that the nail did not hurt her foot. He removed it from the sandal and placed it back on her foot. If he had looked up, he could have seen the way, Neeta was looking at him.

He was sitting infront of her feet in a public place, touching her sandal without caring abouthis status or others. Neeta felt humbled by his love-how does he make her feelso special every time? She was still staringat him when Raj got up and she averted her eyes.