Part 18

He took her hand in his 'Neeta! I did not avoid you. I didn't want to discuss this over phone. Yesterday, I waited to talk with you but your cousin was there here. Morning, you had left to work and I got the chance now.'

'Neeta! Whatever you have said, I understood every word of it, your pain, and your fears, everything. I know how difficult it is to confess your deepest secrets with other person. I am happy you trusted me enough to do it but believe me; I am not telling this in haste or confusion. I know what we are going to face and I am ready for it. Physical intimacy definitely plays a role in marriage, binding two people intimately. Yes, I agree that I love you and I desire you more than anything else in this world-but my love is not based on lust Neeta.

I love you ---not only as a man loves a woman but also as a human being loves another one. This bond between us --it is not powerful because of desire Neeta—it is much more than that. I want to spend my whole life with you Neeta, I want to be a part of your life, share your happiness and sorrows, to see you, spend time with you, laugh with you.I will never expect anything from you nor will I force physical intimacy upon you. You can live your life the way you want.I am just asking you a chance to let me in your life.' His eyes were reflecting his sincerity.

Neeta's mind was numb with shock. What is he saying? How is it possible? Does he know what he is saying? To spend whole life with a person without getting anything-What kind of madness is this?....She can't allow him to make this sacrifice—he don't know what he is getting himself into...his chances of happy life will be gone forever. She has to stop him from this madness.

'Raj! Have you lost it?' she with drew her hand from his. 'You can never be happy with me. You are just mistaking this friendship, this closeness as love. When reality sinks in, you would resent me every moment of your life later. Your parents would have never wanted this kind of life for you. You are just dependent on me. Once I leave from your life, this madness will leave you slowly. You will find a perfect girl for you and you will forget me.'

'Another girl---why don't you find her then for me?' his voice was playful and she was shocked at this sudden turn in his mood.

'Raj! Please stop joking. I am serious.'

He bent on his knees in front of her. 'You have started the joke Neeta. Another girl... really! Do you think that my love for you is a joke that it changes like seasons? You will leave and another one will come into my life...it is one thing that you don't love me but even you don't have right to demean my love for you Neeta.Do you understand?' he placed his hands on her shoulders shaking her slightly, and she was left speechless looking at the intensity of his love.

"You know what? You are right. Everything is changed between us. I can't hide my love from you. I am tired of hiding it every second I spend with you Neeta.I can't handle it anymore. I am not asking you to reciprocate my love. I know that you see me only as a friend. I have only one expectation from you Neeta. Will you fulfill it?"

'What?' Her voice came out as a mere whisper.

'Just don't say that you will leave me –not now, not ever. You don't know what it does to me, how much it hurts me when you say that. Just give me this one thing. I won't ask you anything else.'

'Raj!' ---a tear drop escaped her eye. He wiped it off tenderly. 'I love you truly, madly and deeply Neeta. Now and forever....In future, if you meet someone,'....his voice shivered but he controlled himself...'if you fall in love with him...I will never stop you. But give me one chance to show my love for you. You need not do anything for me. Just give this one chance...for me... for us......please'...his eyes are moist.