aftermath - the fifth year

__

"It doesn't hurt to lose my crown, it hurts to lose." Steffi Graf

__

Gorgina Cross P.O.V

Gorgie lays on the grass, staring up at the sky, telling which cloud is what. "Hey, wash up. It's time for supper." Clarke instructs, not only for Madi but for Gorgie, she's been doing better, way better than she's done for a while. All just by staying with Clarke and Madi.

"Look. The berries are ripe." Madi calls out, making Gorgie giggle at the conversation they had a while back. "That's nice. Come on. I caught. You cook." Clarke puts what Madi says off.

"Clarke, you promised." Gorgie speaks up, trying to help Madi out, after all Gorgie acts like another little kid while Clarke acts like the mother. Poor Gorgie had to become a Queen at only sixteen.

"Last season, there weren't enough, but this year, they're everywhere. Please? I'll cook for a week and clean up." Madi begs, "Two weeks." Clarke changes it up for her own good which is quite a good deal.

"Deal."
"Come on. I'll drive." Gorgie offers, getting up from her spot before walking to the rover, she still wasn't used to not wearing fancy clothes.

They spend the ride together until they get the berries. The rover parks up in a hill and Madi sits beside Gorgie as Clarke talks into a radio, hopping one day that Bellamy will reply. Gorgie still doesn't feels comfortable yet to talk to him, she's not sure if he'll ever forgive her for telling him that she hates him.

"Wait till you see this place. It's like the death wave jumped over the entire valley. Unfortunately, the radiation didn't. I've lost track of how many bodies we've burned since reaching the ground.
God, this would be so much easier if I knew you were alive, if I knew I was gonna see you again." Clarke talks in the radio and everyone can tell she's still hurting.

"Positive thoughts, Clarke." Gorgie calls out and Clarke looks over at her with a weak smile.

"Madi, pack up the Rover. Get it out of sight and load the guns." Gorgie focus on Clarke as Madi gets up, that's when she sees a spaceship coming down. "Is that them?" Gorgie asks.

"No." Clarke keeps it simple, before she turns over to Madi, "All of them."
"Who are they? Why are you so scared?" Madi says as she comes back from loading all the guns.

"I will not let anything happen to you. Do you understand?" Clarke and Madi have their moment, but Gorgie doesn't focuses on that. "We gotta go." Gorgie instructs going to the side of the driver, starting the car. Madi and Clarke get on and Gorgie drives off.

Once they get to their safe spot, they all get out.

"Look. Until I figure this out, I want you to hide in your secret spot." Clarke instructs."No." Madi argues, "The Flamekeeper scouts never found you there. Neither will they... Promise me you'll stay in the hole." Clarke continues."What about you?" Gorgie asks."I'll be back as soon as I can." They watch as Clarke gets in the rover, leaving."Go to your spot. I'll watch out." Gorgie takes charge and Madi follows her instructions, well Clarke's.

Soon after that, Gorgie stands alone, in the middle of nowhere. She lets out a deep breath before she starts making her journey to a hiding spot she found not long ago.

~ Two Years Ago ~

I watch as Kathleen walks down, with one of the most beautiful dresses I've seen. It's a special dress, one they spend overnight making. It's what's going to solve the violence, the attacks and the killings going on between the two sides.

Kathleen passes into and through the choir, and so up the steps to the stage; and having passed by her soon to be throne. She stands upon the priest that married me and Malcolm.

"Sirs, I here present unto you, Queen Kathleen, your undoubted Queen: Wherefore all you who are come this day to do your homage and service, Are you willing to do the same?" And before Kathleen can reply the crowd speaks in union, "God save Queen Kathleen." With the trumpets sounding right after.

"Madam, is your Majesty willing to take the Oath?" The priest asks, turning to Heather. "She's willing." Heather replies before the priest turns back to Kathleen.

"Will you solemnly promise and swear to govern the Peoples of The Underground and follow according to their respective laws and customs?"

"I solemnly promise so to do."

"Will you to your power cause Law and Justice, in Mercy, to be executed in all your judgements?"

"I will."

"Will you to the utmost of your power maintain the Laws of God and the true profession of the Gospel? Will you to the utmost of your power maintain in the established law? Will you maintain and preserve inviolably the settlement of the Church, and the doctrine, worship, discipline, and government thereof, as by law established in The Underground? As by law do or shall appertain to them or any of them?"

"All this I promise to do. The things which I have been provided by Princess Gorgina before, I will perform, and keep. So help me God." I go up to her, handing her the book and she kisses it, and as well as sign the Oath.

"You truly deserve this." I whisper, giving her one of the best smiles, at last I'll be free from the violence. "But not this way. Not by the pain they caused you." She whispers back.

"I'll be fine, I promise. Just now do your job." And with that, I make my way back to my chair.

"You shall be Queen." The priest ends it, and it's turn for the new Queen to say her speech. And she does, she turns around to face the crowd, "Life is imperfect. It's beautiful and complicated and burdensome and messy. And you are a part of it, a part that grows and changes and laughs and loves and gets broken and comes back together, But there will never be a time when you can't just step back and start all over. You can't connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect your future. You have to trust in something; your guts, destiny, life, karma, whatevre. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidnce to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well worn path. And that will make all the difference. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life and that the only way to b truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work... is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking and don't settle. Have the courage to follow your heart and institution. They somehow already know what you truly want to become."

9/15/18

It's not such a long chapter, but deal with me here