//Four//

Thursday, September 29, 2016

I tried to bite back a smile as I stared at the back of Levi's head, trying to keep myself from blushing. Why was I so obsessed with him? One minute he's a rude, homophobic jerk, and the next, he's apologising for it. I can't figure him out.

Wait, is that why I'm so obsessed with this guy? Is it because I like how mysterious he is?

Kyle leaned over, staring at me with narrowed eyes. "Don't tell me you're crushing on that jerk. He's not the one you were looking for, is he?" he asked in a whisper, just loud enough for me to hear.

My face immediately flushed, my eyes locking onto the red bow on the ring finger of the hand he was leaning on, "Don't be ridiculous, of course he-" I cut myself off as I traced the string over a few times, just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

No. Fucking. Way.

I let out a barely audible gasp escape my lips, my eyes widening in realisation. He was the one...

Fate can go fuck itself then go die in a hole.

I let my head fall onto the desk with an audible thump, a few people turning to glance at me for moment.

"What did I ever do to deserve this?" I muttered in somewhat fake despair.

"Goddamn it, Jamie," Kyle nearly growled, "you just screwed yourself over."

***

"Karma's a goddamned bitch, why me? Why not some equally rude girl?" I questioned, my eyes screwed shut as I wallowed in self-pity.

"It's like what you told me; people don't get to choose who they fall in love with," Kyle told me, patting me gently on the back, though, somewhat awkwardly, "and what happened to that 'never judge a person before you know them' thing?"

"I'm not in love with him, but why the hell did fate make him my soulmate?" I asked, slowly opening my eyes as I pouted, completely ignoring his question.

"Soulmate? That's a little far, mate," he reprimanded, narrowing his eyes at me.

"It's true though. You and Lexi, Dan and Kai, Finn and Natalie, Max and Christa, and so on. The couples I put together are the ones that belong together," I explained, letting out a sigh. "Everyone's connected by a red string, and when two people have the same string, they're soulmates," I added on.

"That's weirdly amazing," he commented, blinking at me a few times, "I knew it was odd how the couples you got together seemed to have 100 percent success rates."

"I told you I had something you didn't," I muttered.

"And it wasn't shortness?" he asked in a teasing tone.

"Oh, just do me a favour and go die in a hole."

"No thanks."

"It wasn't a suggestion."

***

As Levi passed me in the hall, he slipped something into the side pocket of my messenger bag, not even trying to be subtle about it. I spun around to look at him.

"What was that?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at him.

He turned back, pausing in his tracks, a small barely-there smile on his face. "Don't look until you get home later, 'kay?" he said, winking at me before he turned back around and continued on his way to his next class.

My cheeks went warm and I hesitated before I continued to walk head to class, deciding that I'd do what he said and wait till later before I looked at the note he slipped me, just in case it ended up being something inappropriate, but it's not like that decision helped my burning cheeks.

I took my usual seat next to Kyle, my face still aflame.

"Why are you red?" my friend asked in concern.

"N-no reason, just ignore me," I murmured, biting my lip nervously.

"You keep getting weirder," he commented, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Just ignore me."

***

I looked at the numbers written on the small piece of paper, it took me a moment to realise that it was actually a phone number and not just random letters with dashes in between them. Which made me feel a bit stupid since the small words printed neatly in the corner of the paper read 'call me ;)'.

If it wasn't for those words, I probably wouldn't have figured out what it meant and would've probably ended up throwing the thing away, thinking it was meaningless.

I immediately took out my phone, putting what I assumed was Levi's number into my contact list, putting his name as 'Rivaille'. I definitely wasn't naming him that because in was the part of the name of a character in some anime I was watching. Definitely not.

I almost immediately pressed the call button as soon as i finished adding Levi as a contact.

"Hello?" I heard the familiar deep voice answer.

"Um, hi..." I murmured into my phone, not even trying to hold my smile back.

"Ah. Hi, Jamie," he greeted me.

"Why'd you give me my number if you supposedly hate me so much?" I asked, biting down lightly on the corner of my lip.

He chuckled, "I don't really hate you. I just don't know how to act around you."

"Oh...um, just act normally?" I suggested, raising my shoulders slightly.

"That's a great idea," he said sarcastically, "it's not like I've tried that one before."

"It didn't work?" I questioned.

"Nope," he replied.

"You're kinda odd," I told him.

He let out a small laugh, "Yeah, whatever...I've gotta go. Oh, and one more thing, pretend this never happened."

"Okay...bye," I said in slight confusion, hearing the phone beep as Levi hung up.

He doesn't really hate me?

He's definitely an odd one.

But, so am I.