Chapter 27

Y/n cradled her egg in her arms as she rocked it back and forth gently, staring outside the chain linked fence.

Nerris's eyes brimmed with tears as her hat was leaking yellow yolk, the thick liquid dripping down her face while Harrison repeatedly apologized. It was rather a horrific sight a "mother" such as Y/n had to experience. Y/n shook her head in sympathy and walked back over to Neil who was making a few adjustments on a remote control he was building for God knows what.  Y/n sat down next to him and placed the egg on the ground as she reached over and grabbed a blue fleece blanket and wrapped it.

"So what should we name our egg, Neil?" Y/n asked.

"I don't care." He stated.

"What do you mean, 'You don't care'?"

"I have better things to take care of at the moment. You can do whatever you want with the egg but you need to keep it safe from the dangers of the outside world."

"Neil, don't you think this is going too far? I mean this is just going to add to your anxiety and stress."

"Well once we're safe then we both can be happy." 

"Are you even hearing yourself? This is complete nonsense. This egg doesn't need to feel trapped. Why can't it be like Ered's and Dolph's egg?"

"They're egg's remains are splattered everywhere on the ramp, Y/n."

"My point still stands.." She sighed.

Neil reached in his toolbox and rummaged his hand in the box in a search of his screwdriver. As he was doing so he shifted a quick glance in the corner of his blue eyes and sighed at the sight of Y/n with a frown on her face, caressing the shape of the egg with the pads of her fingertips.

"I like Elise.." He mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Elise. You can name the egg Elise..if you want." He repeated, clearer.

Y/n rested her chin on Neil's shoulder and chuckled. "I like that name."

*

*

After a few more tries of convincing Neil to let Y/n go outside the fence with Elise, the first place she thought of was going to the docks and admire the view.

Y/n set down the wrapped egg in her lap as her legs swung back and forth. She looked down at Elise and smiled as she placed a peck on the tip of its shell. "You're lucky Neil is keeping himself busy with whatever he's working on. Because I can't promise you him being not so overprotective... Elise, you're going to hatch into a beautiful platypus either if you know it or not. You'll be very beautiful and talented without even doing anything and when you finally hatch, I'll make sure you're aware of it and I'll be the best mother I can be. I'll be the mother mine never was..." She smiled.

"Y/n?" Called out a familiar voice.

She turned around. "Oh, hi, David."

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Of course. Just trying to get some outside time before Neil has a panic attack about protecting Elise."

"I'm assuming Elise is the little egg in your lap." He chuckled, sitting down next to Y/n.

She nodded. "Yup, our little pride and joy. I'm kind of surprised that Neil came up with that name. It's very beautiful. I'm sure he got that name from somewhere else but I like it because it reminds me of one of the piano pieces by Beethoven, Fur Elise."

"You like classical music?" He asked.

"It's one of the many genres I fond over yes, but I like to listen to it more than I like to play it."