Chapter 33

"Part of me miss the sweet, sweet smell of smoke and hot garbage. But..." Y/n trailed off as she looked at the numerous set of buildings around her and the constant sounds of honking from the impatient cars.

"But, what?" Nikki asked. Y/n's eyebrows raised as she hummed in response. Nikki stated, "You started to trail off. You didn't finish what you were about to say."

Y/n bashfully smiled and waved off the statement as she scratched the back of her head. "Oh, don't worry about it. It wasn't important."

"Are you sure?" Neil asked.

"Of course! Guys, this is the city and we have a limited amount of time until Gwen is back from that meeting. We might as well enjoy every bit of time here before returning back to camp. We needed this little break and to enjoy the things outside from just nature."

"That's the spirit, Y/n!" Max smirked, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. He took a moment before looking around and leaning in the group. He cupped his mouth and whispered, "On my mark, we sneak out and blend in the crowd like we own the place!"

"Are we seriously going to wander off?" Y/n asked.

"How else are we going to enjoy the day? Hell, David is so paranoid he won't even look a friendly stranger in the eye!" Max coaxed. Y/n bit her bottom lip as she pondered over the given options. She soon enough looked at the group and smiled as she nodded.

"I'm in. But first things first," She pointed at the leash that Nikki was strapped to and wearing as this entire time she was being walked around by Quarter Master. "Is that going to be a problem?"

"This thing? Please! I was the kid who inspired the prototype for this baby!" She boasted, her grin spreading ear to ear. She unbuckled the leash and shook herself out of it unseen, she then placed the leash and buckled it on Space Kid's helmet before taking the small hand of Y/n's and running off with the others.

*

Y/n linked arms with Max as she rested her head on his shoulder, listening to the sounds city around them. She smiled as the shade from the tall buildings covered them and a nice breeze blew through her hair. "This is nice." She sighed, happily. Nikki then nudge her and suggested, "Now that we're outlaws of the big city, should we join a gang?

"I heard the natural history museum has a new exhibition called Clouds! The Silent Killer!" Neil informed.

"Nikki we aren't outlaws and Neil don't encourage it." Y/n eye-rolled.

"Sorry guys but I think well have to pass on both ideas for today. Because as in right now we'll be starting here. This is where the best food in the world comes from!"

" A back of a greasy truck?" Y/n quipped.

"Does it matters if it comes from a food truck?" Max countered.

"Of course it doesn't-"

"FOOD!" Nikki interrupted with the wild glow in her eyes. Nikki then raced to the food trucks eager to eat something that was given to her, Neil following closely behind. Max chuckled under his breath and surmised at his friends. He said, "Suckers. Everyone knows you go to the truck that has the shortest line."

"Is that so?" Y/n side-eyed.

" As a matter a fact, yes. I choose to believe so."

Y/n gave him a bleak smile and nodded slowly. He curious raised a brow as he leaned closer to Y/n's face, examining every feature he thought was beautiful. Y/n sharply inhaled as she back her face a few inches away from his. "What are you-"