Chapter Forty Six

Violet

Trevor's been relatively quiet since he and I left the gym. I, however, have been in a good mood since we'd got up this morning. I laid it on a little bit thicker than I normally would have during our training session today. I figured I'd use my superiority as his coach to show him what would happen if he ever were to even look at another steroid again. Despite how hard I'd been working him though he still seemed to be in a pretty good mood as well until about halfway through our session. By the time we finished with his round of suicides he just seemed annoyed and not nearly as responsive as he'd been for the majority of the day. 

I somehow managed to not allow his bad attitude to infringe on my good one and continued to go about our day together. Which brings us to where we are now, me practically skipping out of the gym while Trevor follows behind at a much slower rate. 

"Alright we've got about a week before your next official fight," I say slowing down and leaning up to rest my elbow on his shoulder. "If you want to we could fit in one or two scrimmages. Get you a little roughed up before your next match." 

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Alright."

"Why are you so quiet all of a sudden?"

"I'm not."

"Yes you are."

"Do you wanna get off my shoulder?"

"This isn't going to work," I say as he shakes my arm off of his shoulder. "I'm supposed to be the one with the bad attitude. You can't just all of a sudden steal my dynamic, it's going to screw around with our character development."

"What are you even talking about?"

"I'm mostly just talking at this point," I shrug while he only side eyes me with a less than amused expression resting on his face. "Seriously though, why are you in a mood?"

"I'm just kind of stressed out right now," he says passively. "You know, what with everything that's been going on."

I nod, not entirely believing him, but also choosing to not dwell on it right now. The ride back to Trevor's house is relatively quiet, me bobbing my head to the soft lull of the radio while Trevor drives. 

When we arrive at Trevor's house, I waste no time in hopping out of the car and racing up the steps, ready to see my little sister after being away from her all day. I was wary of having he go back to school again with everything that's been going on, but knew that I couldn't necessarily just yank her out and possibly ruin her future. Thank God for Miles though, he's the one that's been dropping her off and spending time with her until Trevor and I get back from training everyday. Without him I don't know how I would be able to manage looking after her and Trevor at the same time. 

I walk inside expecting the little girl to come bolting around the corner like she usually does to wrap her arms around my waist. But I'm surprised when the only thing I'm met with is the eerily quiet tone of the house. I pause and turn around, glancing out the window to see whether or not Miles' truck is outside. I frown when I see the old rusty truck parked in the driveway. It's almost impossible to get one of them to shut up, both of them being this quiet in the house is causing my warning flags to rise.