Chapter Sixty One

Violet

"Violet?" My father breaks away from the group of men surrounding him and makes a move in my direction to come over and hug me. But Trevor protectively takes a step forward, a hand landing on my father's chest to stop him from moving any further. I watch the man who I remember so well from my childhood warily over Trevor's shoulder. 

He doesn't look anything like how I'd imagined he'd look if I ever got the chance to see him again. Then again, I wasn't completely convinced that I would get to see him again. The possibility that Myrah could have been lying to me was always lurking in the back of my mind. He still looks fairly young, probably because he's had his hair colored a few different times. It's obvious that I got a lot of my features from him including my eye color, height, and just the general aurora.

"Please," my father's voice comes out calm but sternly. It's obvious that this is just his nice way of telling Trevor to move out of his way. "Move out of my way so that I can see my daughter."

"Your daughter who you abandon-"

"Trevor," I place a hand on Trevor's arm to stop him from getting into an argument with this man. My heart feels like it's beginning to beat out of my chest, mostly from fear that this alteration is going to go just as south as the rest of this day has gone. Now that I'm here and my father is standing right in front of me it feels more like I'm looking at a stranger than anything. "It's alright. I need to talk to him."

The information that I got from Miles about how emerged his father was in gang related activity didn't exactly serve to ease my thoughts about what my own father could be doing. 

Trevor looks back at me just to check and make sure that I'm sure of what I'm saying. I give him a stern nod even though I'm feeling slightly concerned as well. If Trevor's father is as dangerous as Miles made him out to be then who's to say that mind isn't the same? But Trevor seems to trust my own judgement so he moves out of my way despite both of our worries. 

"Violet," my father's voice echoes through the hall as Trevor steps away from me. His voice comes out much flatter yet more toned than I remember it ever being before. "Are you are doing?"

"Not great."

"I'm sorry," Dad says to me. "I'm sorry about Angela."

At just the mention of her name another sob wracks through my body. The shock of seeing my father again had nearly been enough to push Angie's death to the back of my mind. But now just hearing him say her name is enough to bring the entire situation back in full force. I feel two strong arms wrapping around me, but quickly realize that they don't belong to Trevor. I can't remember the last time that my father hugged me. As soon as I begin thinking about simple things like that, when my father is concerned, it's almost as though a million bad thoughts begin raining down on my brain. All of my insecurities and dark thoughts begin swarming around my mind. It was like all of the pent up stress and emotions that I'd somehow kept bottled up completely burst out of me. 

"Please don't cry," I hear my father pleading from above me. "Please, stop crying... don't cry."