Chapter Sixty Three

Trevor

These last couple of hours definitely haven't held many of my finest moments. This trip has already taken a million different twists and turns that I never could have anticipated prior to us leaving. Finding out that Miles was actually my brother, watching him shoot Angie, and then him getting shot himself was quite a bit to go through in fifteen minutes. 

I still haven't necessarily had any time to digest the information myself. I know that Violet must be hurting around ten times more than I am right now, so I've been trying to pay more attention to her rather than myself. Even though it doesn't seem to be the case, I've been having trouble holding it together. Angie's death has been looming over me like nothing else. I can't go very long without her face popping into my mind. I can't even stop myself from thinking that I could have prevented it if I had just been a little bit quicker. But none of that is what's on my mind right now. 

After so long of working and hunting for my father, it almost felt as though I'd never actually end up finding him. I'd been living in this fantasy world for so long, always hoping that I would know for certain that he was one of the good guys as soon as I saw him again. The thought that he could be so tied up in all of this cult stuff wasn't one that ever crossed my mind. Having him standing in front of me was supposed to be the dream. 

But now it almost feels like a nightmare. 

I know that my skin has gone pale by now, but I can't even imagine what kind of face I'm pulling as I look at the man standing in front of me. It really is almost like glaring into a mirror, but a much more rugged and worn out one. 

"Trevor," my father's voice comes out low and gruff. He doesn't seem surprised to see me by the stoic look on his face. In fact, I can't even tell right away if he's happy to see me or not. He remains placid as he continues to talk. "I wasn't expecting a family reunion today." 

"Well..." As opposed to my father's voice, my own comes out small and unnerved as I think about what to say next. I feel Violet softly placing her hand on the small of my back as I try to find the words to say to him. "Can't say that I was exactly expecting to find you."

"You were looking for me?" I watch as he nonchalantly takes a seat in one of the various chairs littering the room. I can feel irritation slowly beginning to bubble inside of me by his mannerisms. 

"Of course I was looking for you," my eyebrows are scrunched together tightly as I study him even further. He carelessly kicks his shoes off of his feet and slouches in the seat, barely sparing me much of a glance. "Did you think that I wouldn't?"

"I figured that the whole 'died in a car accident' gimmick would be enough to keep you away," he shrugs and scratches at his messy sideburns. "Most people usually wouldn't ask too many questions about that. I didn't exactly think you'd be smart enough to figure all of that out."

"Why are you acting like this?" I ask, tilting my head at the man. He doesn't display a hint of sympathy anywhere on his face or in his body language. It's almost as though I'm just another part of his day that he's waiting to be done with. "You don't even care."

"Not one bit," he laughs shakily and raises an eyebrow at me. "What exactly were you hoping to accomplish by coming all of the way out here. The two of you geniuses couldn't put two and two together? Usually when people fake their death, it's not so they can be found again. You've wasted your time, son."