Chapter Forty Seven

Violet

"Violet, I'm not your mother."

I'm so surprised by the words that leave my mother's mouth that I almost laugh at the proclamation. A smile etches its way onto my face as I stare back at my mother's deceivingly serious expression, not believing her for a second.

At this point I believe that my mother will not only say anything to hurt us, but to also get her way. I can't even remember a time when she hadn't manipulated me into believing something specifically for her own benefit.

"That's low," I say chuckling lightly. "Not that it wouldn't be a gift if it turned out that you weren't my mother-"

"Let me talk," she says cutting me off. "You always talk without listening to what anyone else has to say. You think that you know so much about everything, but you know nothing Violet."

"Fine," I sigh hoping to get this over with sooner rather than later. I need to go upstairs and talk to Angie sooner rather than later and come up with something to tell her about this entire situation. "I'll humor you. Do tell why, after all these years, are you all of a sudden not my mother?"

"It's not a short story," she mumbles before sitting back down and patting the spot next to her on the couch. "I thought you'd figure everything out on your own considering how active you are in The Ring."

As soon as I hear her mention my involvement in The Ring my joking facade breaks down. My mother is the last person that I figured would know about my fighting career and her casually bringing it up in conversation right now is somewhat alarming. Different theories are flying around my head, me primarily wondering if she's still involved with Carlos. He's the only one that she could have found out about The Ring from.

I look over at Trevor who's still standing off to the side and listening in. He nods at me slightly when we make eye contact as if to say that I should hear her out. He leans against the wall, clearly deciding on his own that he's going to stay here for this conversation. I sit a few feet away from my 'mother' on the couch and look over at her, waiting for her to continue talking.

"Your father," she says slowly. "Was involved in the same things that you've managed to get yourself into now-"

"So my father is still my father in this situation, right?" I can't help but to ask the sarcastic question. "I just want to make sure."

"Yes," she says brushing off my jab. "Anyhow, I'm sure you've heard of Richard Kingston, right?"

My eyes flicker over to meet Trevor's gaze as soon as the name leaves my mother's mouth. He's looking back at me with a strange look in his eyes as if he knows something that I don't. I decide to keep quiet though, not knowing the direction that this conversation is taking and also not sure whether or not my mother knows that Trevor is Richard Kingston's son.

"Who doesn't?" I answer her question. "What does he have to do with anything?"

"Your father and him were partners," she says. "You never knew about this part of your father's life because he made sure to keep you out of it."

"Keep me out of it?" I ask growing more confused by the second. "Out of what? This is the most unspecific story that I've ever heard. What part are you supposed to be playing in this story?"

"I'm getting to that," she says impatiently. "Your father was, as they say, young and in love at one point. The girl that he was in love with wasn't necessarily at the same level of love that he was. Not long after she had you, she had some sort of freak out and the next thing he knew she was gone."