Chapter 4: Mess in Omashu

Phantom was proudly examining the results of his work. Drawing on aromor was an interesting free time activity he never thought he would do. While Omashu was being rebuilt after capture, Danny was customizing his suit. Leather parts were replaced by thin and soft tunic dyed in black color with white outlines. He made it extremely light by using thinner steel, since he preferred agility over strength. There were black chestplate with a white flaming 'DP' symbol on it and several others, protecting knees, elbows and other important parts.

Despite the fact that Danny was the one to lead and finish the assault, Ukano was appointed a governor. Not that the half ghost complained, he had other things to do, but the general seemed extremely content with his new post. Phantom was confident he had earned the man's respect and sympathy. Again, he was the governor because of him. Danny insisted that the message hawk needed to be sent immediately. If the Fire Lord received a message so soon, he sure would have been impressed. Ukano listened and did as was requested. Now, Danny just waited for response.

Once he finished, Phantom got up from his seat, leaving the set of armor on its stand. Until something interesting happens, he had to entertain himself somehow, so he went out of the room. The ghost teen was wearing his NASA hoodie and blue jeans, which had gone through fresh cleaning. What a joy - The King of Undead walking around in clothes smelling like mountain flowers. Hopefully it was just his sensitive sense of smell, and everyone around won't be able to feel it.

Phantom went outside and looked down at the city. In his opinion, constructing new buildings was a money waste, especially gigantic statue of the Fire Lord. After all, the war was still going on, and shall the Earth Kingdom retake Omashu, Danny doubted they would spare all those architectural 'marvels'. Suddenly, Danny heard someone behind him, so he looked back.

"Ah, governor, I thought you were sleeping," Phantom commented.

"Well, I'm not. My family is about to arrive, and I wanted to be awake to greet them."

"Oh, really? You didn't tell me about your family."

"This matter wasn't really brought up, Your Majesty."

Even despite Danny's request, Ukano and other officials still called him by title, not by name. Phantom had dealt with it by then.

"Sir, may I ask you about a favor?" The governor asked.

"Uhm, alright, what do you need?"

"Well, the resistance is still out there, and it worries me that their escort might not be enough. Surely a person of your power can protect them..."

Of course, just like on any conquered territory, not everyone just dropped their weapons and surrendered. The resistance was led by Captain Yung, and it was Danny's mistake to just let usual soldiers take him away. The man had escaped captivity by beating his escort, but Phantom followed a famous quote of a French king, 'Après nous, le déluge'. He didn't care what happens after he gets out of this city, so he had to keep order only until he leaves the city. He didn't root for the Fire Nation because of their ideology, but it was still his only hope on getting home, so his position was neutral at its best.

Danny shrugged. "Sure, I don't have anything to do anyway."

Ukano smiled, "Thank you. I think you can meet them at the gates."

The ghost nodded, before turning away and walking off to put on his armor. After doing so, he slowly walked down the rocky path. The night streets were empty, except for several patrols. Curfew was in effect, but it didn't concern the half ghost. And since everyone now knew who that strange kid in strange clothes was and tended to ignore him. Not that Danny liked all fear he was causing, but as Makiaveli said, fear is more useful than love. The second was hard to earn and required time Phantom lacked.