Chapter 22: The conclusion

"Long have I waited..."

"What?" Danny exclaimed, dropping popcorn from his mouth, "You were dead, dipshit!" He exclaimed at the screen, his exasperation reaching its boiling point. He then fell back in the sofa, lacking any words to say.

The princess grimaced at his behavior and sat a little bit apart. He was reacting too emotionally to the revelation within the movie. That binge watching of nine movies was getting to him. That was a very bad idea, considering that, once summed up, it would take more than twenty hours. Sleep deprivation was making him easy to aggravate with all the growing stupidity in the last movies. Sighing, both royalties just went back to watching. Just a little bit left.

"Maybe we should go to sleep," Azula suggested tiredly.

"Good idea," Danny shut off the TV, "There is a limit to the intake of stupidity."

Rubbing her eyes, the princess nodded, "You are right. But still...thank you for taking my mind off all of this. It did help."

"Don't mention it," Danny yawned, putting his hands behind his back, "Preparing to overthrow your father...that's a lot to take in. I'm sure you will manage, princess."

As the days had gone by, the plan the princess had concocted was slowly setting in motion. The Fire Sages were under her control, the religious body of the Fire Nation now served her interests only. Despite the cult of personality Danny had come to notice while being in the country, surprisingly many generals and governors were ready to bow before the princess, especially after Ozai crowned himself as a Phoenix King. That Phoenix was limping a bit, but overall he had recovered. The military officers served the Fire Lord, but by this action Ozai had basically discarded his position in favor of being the ruler of the world. It was insulting, the act lowered the importance of the Fire Nation.

Azula, first and foremost, secured the sympathies of the capital garrison, and those of the neighboring regions. An interesting historic account: she had basically done what each prince of Ottoman Empire had accomplished. The key principle — after father's death the son who gets to the capital first becomes the new sultan. Usually it ended with the execution of brothers. And the time to get to Constantinople depended on where the loyalties of bureaucrats lied.

Back to the topic, the stage was set, the play was about to unfold. It was going to be the sight to behold. But Azula was faced by another question brought up by her friend. What was to be done with the world? With Ozai beaten, the Fire Nation was still ruling most of the world, yet many big cities were slipping out of control, especially Ba Sing Se, without the princess around, who could solve the matter.  Danny actually had the gall to ask her to leave that conquest. Simply like that, abandon the conquest and make peace.

Azula was not angry at him per say, it was more of a shock. It was a mere suggestion at the king's behalf. They argued a lot, yet Danny brought up the issue of keeping that enormous, bloated giant together. The world was not advanced enough to preserve order everywhere. It could work in the modern world, but not in the one that was in the ancient times in terms of politics and communication. And it could spell disaster for the entire country, even within the borders of the archipelago.

But on the other hand, the signing of peace was going to ruin her entire reputation. What was worse she did not know. The position was indeed dire.

Phantom was more concerned with Ozai's plan. The madman planned on burning the Earth Kingdom to the ground! That moron planned to rule the scorched, lifeless ground, what was wrong with that idiot?! The lives of thousands were at stake. Danny wasn't going to let that happen, lack of intervention be damned. Yet, the spirits just had to thwart his efforts. They claimed that the Avatar was supposed to stop Ozai, and they were deaf to the people's suffering. That's why the ghosts hated that self-centered creatures.