Chapter 15: The royal things

Azula watched the entirety of the fight with intense curiosity. Phantom had never shown such power, because the menial tasks assigned to him by her father did not require him to even shift from his human form. Moreover, Danny obviously met his match, and in terms of destructiveness it was one of the most impressive. They had destroyed the outer wall and the landmass had lost copious amounts of this named land. She truly had never seen a battle between two people to be like this, out of this world, beautiful in its terrifying showoff.

All the while she followed the fight, careful not to get caught in the crossfire. It was hard, considering that neither was looking in her direction and neither noticing that the explosion would hit her point blank. But Azula managed to avoid being smashed or wiped out of existence. And once the fighting came inside the castle, she jumped through one of the holes and watched the final episode of the battle. And as Danny was being beaten up, something panged inside of her. He better not to die now of all times. Almost tempted to intervene, the princess was stopped by the flash, and now she stared at the reborn king in his full, seemingly omnipotent glory.

There was something in his appearance, it went past the senses of the eyes, ears or skin, straight to the mind. Azula once again was stunned, able to only watch him for the time being, his very being demanded full attention. The feeling subdued soon after with the vanishing glow, but the aftertaste remained in her mind. It was hard to believe that that snarky boy she had summoned with a bowl of cereal was now this. What was there not to behold about it, even the arrogant princess could admit this, and only her father had ever received such an opinion of hers. But watch her admit this to anyone.

Fright looked...scared. Ironic. He only stared at the being radiating an immense, untamed power, threatening to end his miserable existence. Phantom kept looking at him with a stern and unswerving gaze, his neon eyes shining brightly. He waited for response. Finally the ghost came to a decision. With hope in his core, Fright kneeled before his king, the sword now away from his throat. Phantom chuckled briefly, before dispersing the weapon in the air.

"A lot of words have been said, Fright," he commented with a smile, going around the kneeling ghost. "And a lot of bones have been broken. But I am still willing to put everything behind."

"What?" Both Fright and Azula sitting above asked simultaneously.

"Yes. Shall you pledge allegiance to me, all of this will be forgotten. I am in need of a second in command and I see no better candidate for such task. If you refuse," Danny shrugged. "Well, as long as no further harm is done you are safe to leave this castle."

The ghost only stared in shock at the smiling monarch. This boy was offering him a chance even after being nearly killed by his hand. He was unbelievable, but at his memory no king ever gave him such a choice. He had either agreed or had been threatened to be wiped out. Then Fright barked a laugh.

"To where? To that wretched pumpkin? I have no place of retreat, Your Majesty."

"Well, maybe I'll get you a house on the edge of this land. Don't make things more complicated than they should be," Danny deadpanned.

Azula jumped down and slid down the column, before softly landing on the debris near him. She crossed her hands, while Phantom looked at the princess, putting his palms together. A loud clank was heard as the metal hit the metal. He grinned in a way too familiar to her. Now that was the teen she remembered. Glancing at Fright and telling him to rise and contemplate for a couple of minutes, Phantom directed his full attention at the princess.

"So..." he said longingly. "What do you think?" Danny outstretched his arms, showing off his suit of armor.

"A nice change of style," Azula shrugged. "Better than that rags from before."