Chapter 19: No rest for the wicked

A.N. You know, I hate the new text redactor here. Half of the screen is used for nothing. Oh, well. So, I had a lot of fun with this chapter. And the following ones are going to feel the same way to me, because I've been waiting for this route since the very beginning. And I cannot wait to bring this story to the sequel with Korra. Ah, sweet dreams.

Danny put down the crown on the pedestal. Its flames flickered, being just as untamed force of nature. It was as if it didn't want to let go, clutching Phantom's hands in its own fiery grip. The half ghost only gave it an empty look, before waving the tongues away. He turned around, eager to leave it in this dark room forever. As he had put it down, his conversation with the piece of regalia was over. Taking a ragged breath, Phantom shut the door, before it vanished at his whim. No door, no indication of the presence of the powerful artifact.

The ghost king strolled down the corridors of the dungeons, lit only by the dim green torches. He went upstairs, greeted by the upcoming light. Yes, he could use some more light downstairs, but why bother? He didn't want to come down anyway. And Danny hoped that he wouldn't have to come down again. The half ghost was going to his office, but thn in the middle of his way, he was interrupted by a voice.

"Going somewhere?"

Danny looked are and saw Azula standing near him. And she looked angry, with her hands crossed.

"Yes, to my office..."

"Congratulations," the princess spat. "What was that about a trip to show the world?"

"Oh, yes," Danny rubbed his forehead. "I'm so sorry."

"Sorry does not cover that you have said about two hours wait. You've been absent for a DAY, Phantom," Azula glared at him.

Phantom looked actually stunned by this revelation. "A...a day? God...it's worse than I have thought."

"What is it?" The princess uncrossed her hands.

"I...nevermind. It shouldn't be of any concern now," the look on Azula's face clearly stated that she was not satisfied with the answer. Of course she wasn't. "Look," Danny put his hands on her shoulders. "I'm...I'm really sorry for this. I had to do this and quick. I thought I would manage, but..." he hissed nervously. "You can say I got carried away. Revenge is the thing like that, and I had to make sure that those people would never harm anyone. And the only way to do that was..."

"To slaughter them? How could you?"

It was the goddamn crown, Danny told himself. It brought up every weakness of his just so it could exploit the situation and turn him into a vile murderer. He was stronger than it was. Phantom still held the might to resist the temptation of nearly boundless power in favor of retaining his morality. He took it off and now nothing could force him to put it back on. It was all a thing of the past from that moment forward.

"I know, it's against everything I stand for, I'm disgusted with myself..."

"How could you not bring me alone while you were having all this entertainment?"

Danny froze. His look couldn't quite show how he felt about what she had just said. Phantom just looked, avoiding Azula's angry gaze. But then she sighed.

"Not that I wanted to go out anyway, but it still insulting to be ditched like this, Phantom. Especially after you you started showing off as the only person who actually cares about what is going on."

"Azula...I do care, I'm giving you everything you want."

"Obviously not. You think that stuffing me inside this wretched box is going to fix everything? Surprise, Sherlock, it does not."