Chapter 13: Journey into unknown

Azula hummed softly as she moved on her bed. It was midnight. Despite her blissful sleep, her head beforehand was filled with many thoughts of all kinds. On that endless list of strained ideas were multiple things all dropped on her during the entire last day. Yes, even she had hard times on occasion. First of all, there was the pressure of the approaching Day of the Black Sun.

All that time Azula was confident, thanks to Phantom's reassurance about how incredibly short-lasting the effects of the eclipse were. She had no reason to distrust this teen with an excessive knowledge of space bodies all scholars of the world could only envy. But her father was nonetheless hectic about it, and thus she still had to observe defenses of the capital. It was logical, she guessed. If they did not defend at all, the defeat at least in that fight would be imminent. Losing their capital was going to have a lasting and disastrous effect. The princess, in secret from her father, implemented the arrival of reinforcements, sadly, judging everything by only his words. Azula did not like this one bit. It didn't need anything extraordinary, the cunning scheme of hers implied first luring the attackers deeper inside the harbor leading towards the city. And then Phantom was supposed to cut them off from the sea, crushing any form of resistance and preventing their escape. Not a single flaw, just like all her plans were meant to be.

But there was an obstacle which was another topic of the day. Ozai was also pissed about Phantom still being alive, sort of,while the portal was almost finished, as Danny had pulled off something outstanding, building something which took his parents months even after they made the blueprints, in but a couple of weeks. Azula was impressed indeed, she did value the efficiency, and Phantom was as hard-working as it got, he was fueled by his dedication, when his goal was at the hand's reach. But the Fire Lord was getting furious, and the princess was far from being used to him being angry with her of all people. No, she would prove him wrong and prove her own value. But for some reason, for the first time in what probably was her entire life she was getting anxious.

It was all because of that idiot, that now again cheerful and insufferably snarky half ghost. She had bet everything on this game with high stakes, not too inclined on losing it. For all it's worth, her reward could very much differ depending on one decision made by him. Was she sure about him doing what she needs? That's what was nagging her. Phantom was...unpredictable, albeit his loyalty, at least now, was that of a puppy, as insulting as this comparison may sound to some ears, spoiled by more flattering remarks. The latest days were...lively. Since the time spent on the beach he did seem more comfortable around their group. So, Azula just hoped that the friendship he was speaking was sincere. Did she care for this even more? Maybe.

Sighing, the princess turned around in her bed, before hearing a shuffle near her. Azula's eyes snapped open, before she leaped and yelped, bolting upwards at seeing the half ghost near her. The small gust of fire missed the target. The covers flew around, making it impossible to see where they began and where they ended. The moonlight was seeping through the window, shrouding the room and lying on every object it came across. And it was in that light where Azula saw the midnight trespasser. Danny only blinked in confusion. Although, he guessed he shouldn't be surprised. He was sitting on his knees, situated on the huge bed by her.

"What. The hell. Are you doing here?!" Azula whisper-yelled, moving her nightgown so as to cover her body.

"I did it!" Phantom whispered excitedly.

The princess raised an eyebrow. He looked like a child who had just received a present on Christmas. Not that she knew what it was. Azula had never seen such immense happiness on his face. His ice blue eyes were almost literally glistening with joy. Maybe it was his energy reacting to his whirlwind of emotions, not enough to change the shade. Danny was grinning from ear to ear, leaning forward on his hands.