Chapter 8: Talks and too little fights

"Well, it didn't go well, I take it," Danny deadpanned, looking at the result of his companions' work.

"Why?" Ty Lee asked. "We got this girl and weren't exposed. Isn't it great?"

"Her friends will be looking for her," Phantom responded shortly and confidently.

It began as an accident really. Katara just waltzed in at the most inappropriate moment. When Azula's group was pretty much alone. And as it didn't take long for the Water Tribe girl to figure everything out. She had met with the princess and even despite a ton of grime managed to recognize her. Probably because of the golden eyes. You don't see those around very often. Danny was not there at the moment, as he was too busy at that square because of 'mysterious letter'. They still didn't know who wrote it, as the hieroglyphs couldn't tell much, unlike the letters Phantom was used to. Even if there were some significant traits at writing, his abilities of instinctive understanding of languages couldn't tell him about them.

"Don't be a crybaby," the princess nudged him with a smug smirk. "So far nothing is going wrong."

"Does your world have an equivalent of Murphy's law?" Danny asked calmly. "Because you have just fulfilled all the requirements by saying this and now everything is going to go wrong. Unless this universe is going to be more forgiving."

"Optimistic," Mai said with sarcasm. Like she was the one to talk, Danny thought.

He shrugged. "I will be glad to be proven wrong. It's yet to happen."

No one said anything afterwards, as they left the captive alone. Danny guessed that Azula was planning on using the girl as a bait for the others, while the other part of her plan was being executed right at the moment. He honestly never ceased to be...impressed maybe. Not in the good way, but it was the closest definition. She was younger than him, two years difference, and yet there was so much malicious cunning. Phantom managed to understand her schemes to the extent. He wasn't horrified by her ruthlessness, he had seen something surprisingly worse. She wasn't cutting people open, after all, so she was far from being the MOST cruel being in existence.

"Where are we going next?" Danny asked curiously, fixing the collar of the robe.

"A little inspirational speech for Dai Li is in order," Azula answered. "They need some...boost in moral."

"Great, do I need to fetch them a sedative after you finish?" Phantom raised his eyebrow and made the princess snort a laugh. Ty Lee also giggled.

They reached the dungeons, and there seemed to be a lot of them underneath the palatial grounds. But damn, to build a giant hall with statues underground...what a waste, honestly. It's not like anyone would see those sculptural marvels, anyways. Maybe it was like terracotta army and there was some dead Earth King there. Who knew, Danny was not Indiana Jones, he wasn't that eager to find out. They just got to some open area, where the Dai Li were waiting for them. Ty Lee and Mai just stood aside, clad in their Kioshi warriors outfits, while Danny leaned against the column, almost out of site.

"The Council of Five and the Earth King don't trust you," Azula began her speech. "One of these days they will turn against you and leave none of you alive. Long Feng has placed me in command to execute a coup before they manage to. It must be swift and decisive. I will not tolerate any weakness. If I see it..."

She stopped near one of the agents.

"I won't hesitate to pull it out," the princess said in a dangerous tone.