Chapter 10.

My eyes slowly opened as sunlight filled the room. It had to be nearly noon based on the amount of light around us and I smiled as I felt the steady rise and fall of Zane's chest beneath me.  His fingers slowly stroked my exposed back and I shivered under his touch, nuzzling closer against him. A low growl rumbled inside his chest beneath me and my heart swelled knowing he'd stayed beside me the entire night.

"Good morning." I said quietly, my words still hoarse from strain.

"Good afternoon." He corrected and chuckled. "It's nearly one now." His voice was thick with sleep. 

I leaned up on to my elbow and noticed I was no longer dizzy from movement. I let my hair fall to the side as I stared down at him. His hair was mussed and his eyes were slowly opening before they quickly focused on mine.

"What is it?" He seemed off as he stared up at me.

"Nothing. I just forgot that you still had my blood in your system for a moment. Your eyes...they'll change back don't worry. It's just for 24 hours."

"What do you mean?" I sat up and stared into the large full length mirror next to the bed resting against the  wall. I gasped and my hands shot up to my face as I caught my reflection. Two blood red eyes were staring back at me where my emerald green ones should have been.

Zane sat up and stroked my back. "It's ok. It won't last I promise. It should be gone by tonight."

I took a deep breath and tried to look away but I couldn't. "I look so..."

His fingers gently gripped my chin and turned my face to look at him. I obliged, reluctantly tearing my gaze away from the mirror.

"Beautiful." He whispered as he stared intensely into my new eyes.

He leaned in and his lips brushed lightly against mine. The touch was so light, gentle. I smiled against his mouth and he pulled away, brushing my hair away from my face. "Do you think you're ready to walk now?"

I nodded and slowly moved to the edge of the bed, letting my legs dangle off the side before planting my feet firmly on the cold tiled floor. Zane flashed in front of me, taking my hands in his and gently pulling me up. I swayed for a moment but steadied once my body adjusted to the change.

"How do you feel?" His voice was laced with concern and his eyes inspected me as I took a timid step, followed by another until I had regained my footing.

"Surprisingly ok. Much better actually." I couldn't quite put my finger on what exactly I felt, but it was strange. It was like I could feel the strength of Zane's blood coursing through me. It felt...right.

"I need to go and meet with my parents. Do you think you'll be ok to accompany me?"

My eyes shot up to meet his in surprise and he smiled. "Come with you? Are you sure?" I asked hesitantly.

"Of course. This concerns you. You should be there too, don't you think? If you don't want to I can..."

"No." I interrupted him quickly. "Please. I'd like to go."

He nodded once and smirked at me as he ran a hand through his messy brown hair. We each got dressed and freshened up before heading out toward his parents' suite. A nervous excitement suddenly began to fill me as my mind raced. I hoped they would have the answers we were looking for. I needed to know. My strange dream had just shown a light on my beginnings before coming here, and I hoped I'd remember more in the future, but until then I'd have to find the answers here.

The young maiden Braelyn let us in and my chest ached again at the sight of her, so young and timid. King Kyran and Queen Isla were already seated in the sitting area waiting for us, and both gasped at me when I walked in.