Chapter 72.

*Photo: Amirah

Zane's POV

"Zane, if we do this, I can't know everything. I don't need to see every possible detail that our life could be. I just need to know that you're safe, and that our daughter lives a life she loves. If those two things are true, that's all that matters to me." Ana stared into my eyes with her intense jeweled gaze as I nodded back at her slowly.

"I can't live a life with expectation of what's to come. I've done that once already and the knowledge is just too much." She whispered.

I saw a look cross her face that seemed to be one of remembering. I immediately remembered my own feelings of that time, the pit that slowly ate at all of us waiting for the war and her inevitable death to come to pass.

I reached up to touch her face, my fingers stroking gently against her cheek. "I understand...and I agree. We will only use the knowledge as we need it." I leaned forward, kissing her forehead softly as I breathed her in, letting her scent take over my senses and wash over me in comfort. "I only want to know what we must. The rest is meant to be shown to us as it happens. We should experience life together, not know it before it ever even arrives."

She let out a shaky breath, her hands trembling slightly as she closed her eyes in concentration. She took my hands in hers, focusing on her breathing, but I could feel her anxiousness. She was nervous about what we'd see. I couldn't tell if it was nerves for if the vision would end badly, or finally in our favor for once, but we would handle that as it came.

I closed my eyes and listened to her breath, moving my own in and out with hers. After several moments, the darkness began to swirl, giving way to a veiled vision appearing before us. Before the picture became clear, Ana gasped and I knew it wasn't good. I heard screams. Gut wrenching screams.

And they were mine.

The lower cellar came into view as I writhed violently on the floor. I screamed loudly, snarling in pain as my body whipped back and forth, my hands wrenching through my hair as I squeezed my head in pain. I felt a strong jolt of pain pass through my body as quiet whispered incantations surrounded me.

My eyes opened wide as my body snapped back rigidly to see Delphine standing in front of me. She was holding hands with many Talentati as they created a circle around me, chanting their spell quietly. Their words grew louder and louder, and with each passing moment, I felt a pulsing pain begin to throb throughout my entire body before wracking my brain and my aching muscles. It was as if my body was being pulled apart cell by cell. My very soul ached deep within my chest as Delphine yelled the words louder than before, raising her hands high as she pressed forward. I snarled, lashing for her but she knew I was too weak to harm her.

"Ana...I need Ana. Where is she?" I said within a ragged breath as my hands squeezed into my temples in an attempt to relieve the pain.

Delphine ignored my cries, chanting louder than ever as the circle closed in tighter around me. Every cell inside of me seemed to be ripping apart, my mind beginning to fade as each memory began to form into a new hallucination. I couldn't see what was real or imagined anymore. I felt like I was completely losing my grip on my own mind.

"Ana..." I whispered, willing my cry out to her, but she didn't come.

Finally, as the last shred of my sanity began to fade away, I saw her. She flashed through the circle, pushing under their barrier until she was kneeling beside me.

"I'm here Zane. Just listen to me. Listen to my voice. You have to stay awake." She said as her hand stroked against my cheek.

I nodded slowly, sweat pouring down my face as I pushed through the pain, attaching my thoughts to her as I held on for dear life.