Chapter 76.

Casimir nodded in agreement after a long pause, accepting my role as final executioner. To be honest, I couldn't believe I'd said the words. But in the end, I knew. For me to truly feel at peace, to feel finished with all of it, I'd need the closure of seeing him die before my eyes; of being the one to end his miserable existence as a plague on this earth. After the hell he'd put not only me, but even worse had put Braelyn through, she and I each needed some closure from this.

"Shouldn't this punishment apply to his Hand as well?" The younger woman said from the end of the table suddenly. She was scowling as she stared down at us. I looked back in disbelief that she'd even suggest such a thing after what Ehren had done for all of us. She was new to the council but how could she not know? "He was aware of the plans his king had from the beginning because of his title. He should be executed as well by association. He only stopped helping him because of her."

I took in a calming breath before I responded. "He is the reason I'm standing here. That you're all standing here in fact. How could you think such a thing after he risked his life to help us? He abandoned his own kingdom and his leader. He broke an oath of loyalty to his King to keep us safe."

She rolled her eyes and sat back in her seat, but it was a whisper across from her that I heard from the end of the table that sharply drew my attention away.

"What was that you said?" I said, needing confirmation, but Zane was already out of his seat and flashing down to them before I could actually process what he'd said.

He yanked the elder man out of the chair and threw him into the wall as his hand closed down tightly around his neck and he leaned in closer. "If I hear you call her a 'piece of ass' one more time, I'll kill you myself right here." Zane sneered but the man just scowled back, gasping for air as he glared. "Ehren helped us because he is an honorable man and knew it was right. That's all." He released his hold around the man as his venomous words lingered in the air around us.

"Ehren will not be touched. Do you understand?" The room was silent as they stared back at him, some looking at me and then back to Zane before dropping their eyes in shame as the councilman recovered on the floor at Zane's feet. "Because of him we gained a monumental advantage on the battlefield, as well as captured the two responsible parties. He also is solely responsible for the survival of the woman sitting to my left down there." Zane pointed down at at me as he stared down each individual council member. "She is the future reigning Queen of the Talentati, who is also carrying a future heir to this kingdom within her. Ehren will be pardoned for his part in this. Is that understood?"

Everyone nodded quietly in agreement, waiting in the painful silence as Zane slowly walked back down and sat in his seat at the head of the table. I could feel every ounce of anger and tension rolling off of him.

"Thank you." I whispered into his mind.

Because of him, Ehren would be saved and would love to create a new life for himself. One outside of the disgusting world Maddox had surrounded us both with; one without traumatic memories and wounds needing to be healed and put back together. He could simply live. I'd speak to him before the sentence was carried out. As soon as it was finished, he could go if he wanted. He would be free to live whatever life he dreamt of.

"We will be carrying out the sentencing tonight. You have one hour everyone. Meet in the cellars to bring Maddox up to the execution platform. Inform anyone who wishes to witness his justice being carried out." Casimir said, bringing me back to reality. "Who will inform Lilith of her sentence?" He continued.

Zane spoke immediately. "I will. Will you allow her to say goodbye to him?" The table looked down at him in shock. "He is her father. At the end of the day, that means something. She deserves the right to say goodbye before her father dies, regardless of their crimes."