Chapter 39.

I waited anxiously for him to speak, but instead his gaze simply sparkled in the dim light, glassing over as unshed tears began to fill his eyes. He stepped forward slowly, one step at a time until he was standing right in front of me. I let out a breath as my eyes fluttered down, breaking from his.

His arms extended, wrapping around me as he pulled me into his hold cautiously. My head rested against his chest and as soon as I'd stiffened against him, his scent began to wrap around me. Even though it had been most of my life since I'd seen him, something about it still seemed so familiar. So comforting. I let it wash over me like a warm blanket, giving into his hold and wrapping my own arms around his strong torso. I felt protected in his hold. As if nothing could get to me in this moment. I pressed my face closer against him as tears began to fill my own eyes.

He let out a contented sigh as his deep voice finally broke the charged silence surrounding us. "I've missed you daughter."

His voice was thick with emotion as I let the tears fall freely. I felt his arms squeeze tighter before loosening to allow him to step back, his eyes looking down over me to take in my appearance. "You've grown into a beautiful young woman Ana. You don't know how happy we are to see you. We thought we'd never see you again, and yet here you stand."

My mother stepped up beside him, linking her arm around his as she smiled back at me, her own tears filling her eyes. "Ana we thought you were gone forever. We'd searched for years, but we could never find you. Even Delphine couldn't locate you. But none of that matters now. You're home now." She said.

I choked back a sob as I forced the words out. "I wish it could be that way forever, but I have to tell you something. Both of you. Ehren's come to warm us. I'm in danger." I said, looking back over my shoulder to let him know I was ready. I turned back to face them as he stepped beside me. "We all are." I said quietly.

My parents' faces changed to one of confusion as they exchanged a look with one another before glancing back at me and Ehren.

"What do you mean Ana?" My father asked.

"Sir, my King knows of her gifts and wants to claim them fully for himself. He had a connection here and knows where to find her. If we don't act quickly, you may all be in danger." Ehren kept his voice even, but I could feel his body tensing. He was anxious, even if he didn't want to show it. Our time together had taught me that much. I could recognize the small changes in his demeanor.

"Come and sit. Tell us, have you told anyone else of this yet?" My mother said, ushering us to the sofa and chairs in front of the now dimming fire.

We both nodded our heads. "Yes. We went straight to Delphine. She left immediately to cast protection around us, but it won't be enough to stop them forever." I responded.

Ehren agreed as he sat forward. "He won't stop looking for Ana. But I can assure you, he'd settle for anyone like her until he finds her. He's power hungry and anxious to make his move now."

I glanced quickly at Ehren who caught my eye before we both heard a knock on the door. My mother jumped to her feet and opened the door, letting in Delphine and Kora before shutting it. "Come in. They were just filling us in." She said quickly.

"Delphine, what are we dealing with at the gates? Will they find us?" He said, his deep voice ringing with authority.

She shook her head shortly as Kora made her way to stand beside me, her hand squeezing around my shoulder gently as she gave me a look of reassurance. "No sire. I believe my enchantment will be enough to deter them. It's intended to confuse them, sending them in another direction until lost completely. They'll not be able to enter here. I've seen as much."