Chapter 12.

Zane's POV

I hated leaving her with Fallon, but he was the only one I trusted to keep her safe until we sorted out what was happening here. We hadn't had a breach in nearly fifty years, and this was not something we would take lightly after the last time. Once they were out of sight, I quickly made my way in to the conference room where the council and my parents were waiting. They were already heavy in debate when I arrived so I slid into my seat to the right of my father.

"How do we even know this wasn't done here, within our own walls? Someone here could have easily created him and let him get away from them. It happens all the time!" One of the older councilmen yelled towards my father from across the table.

"You're right. We don't know that, but I intend to question each person until we get to the bottom of this. In the mean time, I plan to be ready in case Maddox is planning to not honor the treaty."

"I don't see what the big deal is. Clearly someone here just let their creation get away from them. He only attacked a slave girl right?" One of the younger females on the council named Aiyana spoke as if she was bored. To her, the attack on a slave did not warrant the royal family and council fussing over something so trivial.

I growled and slammed my hands on the table, standing to glare at her. "That slave girl is under my protection." I snarled, fighting to keep my anger from exploding from me. "I will not allow someone to hurt anyone under my care. It matters to me, understood?" Each word seethed in fury at her dismissive attitude.

Each life in our kingdom mattered, regardless of status. But no one was going to question why an attack on Adriana mattered so much. She was mine. That's why. Aiyana's eyes widened before snapping down to the table in front of her.

"Now, as we were saying, we need to ensure that the yearling was indeed not created here. I want guards posted at every entrance of the wings, questioning and clearing as they go until each member of this kingdom has been spoken to. If there is any suspicion, I want them brought to the dungeons and to be alerted immediately." Kyran spoke smoothly and I settled back in to my chair, running a hand through my hair to try and calm down.

Everyone around the room agreed and the group moved on. My father's Hand Casimir spoke next and I dreaded the actions to follow. "So what is our plan of action if Maddox is testing the boundaries? What if he is testing for an attack?"

One of the councilmen jumped up, waving his hand as he spoke. "Then we attack him first!"

A couple of them cheered but my father's hands shot up, silencing all of them. "We will not be attacking without proof. We are in no place to fight right now. Our men are spread out and it would take time to bring them back in. The only option is to catch him off guard."

My eyes snapped to my father, but he stared ahead at the council. He already knew what he wanted to do. "We will move up the ceremony date. He'd never attack with his daughter here."

Several gasps came from the table and I sneered, "What the hell do you mean? You want to bring her here sooner? When?"

Kyran flashed an angry look at me, clearly unhappy at the irritation in my voice. He leaned forward and smirked at me, knowing I had no choice but to agree. I'd already agreed. It shouldn't matter when. "Next week."

I scowled and clenched my fists, knowing there was nothing I could say to deter him. He'd already decided. "Shouldn't we wait until the report comes back from the internal investigations?" I ground out.

"By then it may be too late. No. I want her here now. Set it up Cas. She will be here by next week. No questions. If he does not agree, we will attack."