Chapter 66.

I immediately yanked us out of the vision, unable to bear the sight of that room any longer. My face felt wet and as I reached up I realized it was because I'd been crying. I blinked my eyes to adjust to my room once again and saw Zanes shocked face staring back at me. The shock immediately turned to fury, and then again changed to genuine sadness.

"Fuck Ana. I'm sorry...I'm so sorry." He whispered, pulling me up to sit in front of him before wrapping his strong arms around me. "I don't know how you endured that. You were stronger than any vampire I've ever known as a human." He said into my ear as he softly stroked my hair.

For a moment, I let myself feel it. I let that flicker of love spark again for just a second. I allowed myself to be comforted by his touch. But just as quickly, the feeling of him seeing Lilith and their child hit me. He was no longer mine. He never was, and I'd made peace with that long ago now.

I pulled away and stood from the bed, walking over to the window as I looked out at the new moon cresting over the horizon. I could feel the hurt coming off of Zane as he stood and slowly moved to stand behind me, giving me enough space but remaining there until I'd face him.

I sighed heavily and turned around to look at him, leaning back against the window sill as I shrugged my shoulders in disbelief.

"Zane this isn't possible. You know it's not. I..."

"I know that Ana." He interjected, his jaw clenching tightly.

"Then what do you want from me? What am I supposed to do here? How does this effect us?" My words were tense but I could barely hold it together after that vision. Every stitch that was holding me in one piece was threatening to pop, letting all of my pain and broken parts spill out in front of us for anyone to see.

Zane raked a hand through his hair before throwing them both up in anger. "I don't know. Fuck. I don't know!" He slowly began to pace, small steps at first and then his strides became longer. I could hear him growling slightly in frustration under his breath.

He finally stopped short and turned, walking straight toward me and stopping as his body collided into mine. His hand wrapped around each side of my face, pulling me closer as his lips took hold of my own, crashing down on me and pulling my very breath from my lungs. I had to remind myself to breath, even though I no longer needed it. His hold was possessive and hungry, but it was as if my new change matched his completely. I felt like for once I was his match. I felt strong.

I could feel my heart stirring, butterflies flapping furiously within my gut. And then I felt it. I felt a little, tiny flutter. It was almost so small that I might have missed it, but it was there. It was her. I felt her move.

I gasped and pulled back, my hands dropping to my stomach as I felt Zane do the same thing. His hands slowly fell to cover mine as tears streamed down my face. Because of our connection from the transformation, he was completely in tune with my body and emotions.

"Was that..." he started but his words fell silent as she moved again. "This is amazing." He looked up at me with eyes so full of admiration and love. "Ana, you're amazing." He said.

I let a few more quiet sobs escape before finally pulling myself back together. I wiped away the tears and took in a deep calming breath.

"Zane, you know this isn't possible. No matter how much we wish it were." I said softly, my words barely louder than a whisper.

"Ana, I love you. I want you. I want our family. You know that I do. I know you feel it." He said, stepping closer, but I took another step back.

He was right. I could feel those things exuding off of him. It was so strong that it almost covered everything else up in my mind. But the feeling was tainted with that one little part of him that knew he was tied to Lilith permanently, and his son and heir that was growing within her. He reached for me but I immediately pushed his hand away, letting my anger grow more than I should have.

"Zane you're mated! You're literally connected to her in every way possible and there's no changing that. She's carrying your child too, and she's dying! And I know you want to go to her. I know you can't help how the bond changes you, and I know you certainly can't stop how you feel about your child that she's carrying. But it hurts. I can't keep doing this Zane. I can't!" I said, my words tumbling out of me, falling in an invisible heap on the floor between us. They'd created a wall piece by piece before I could stop it.

Zane stood still, as if he was afraid if he moved I'd spook. The words hovered like a veil, covering each of us from the other.

"Ana, I..."

"You're mated to her Zane. You know we can have no future when you're tied to her. And I know you'll never forgive yourself if your child dies because you didn't go to them." I said quietly, my eyes remaining locked on the invisible heap on the floor.

He sighed and pinched between his eyes as he took in a deep breath and slowly released it. After a moment, we finally looked at each other. His features were set and his eyes were focused. He'd decided.

"I'm sorry I can't give you what I wanted to Ana. I'll find a way out of this if you'll let me, but I need time." He was determined, I could feel that. I could hear his mind racing with potential courses of action.

I just let out a tight laugh and threw my hands up. "What else can I do?"

His hands twitched with the urge to comfort me, but he decided better of it. He knew right now it wouldn't help. Not really. He nodded shortly and slowly made his way to the door, hovering just before he opened it.

"I will find a way back to you Ana...I promise...to both of you." His words were so quiet I almost missed them, and then he was gone. Once the door shut, I slowly sank to the floor, letting it all roll off of me as I looked up through the large window before me. Hi words were lingering in the air as if a breeze carried the silent promise through the room.

The blood red moon of battle had faded away, giving way to the next path we were to be set upon. Now I just had to choose which one I'd choose for myself, and for my daughter.