Chapter 19.

My eyes widened before I heard a loud growl from the end of the hallway. In an instant, Zane was standing next to me with a look of fury on his face.

"Remove your hand from her, or I will do it for you Milo. Don't think I won't." He growled lowly, his voice menacing.

Milo paused and looked down at me with a smirk before releasing me with a gentle shove. I gasped as I staggered back, immediately blocked by Zane's shoulder as he stepped in front of me. He nodded to the two of us before flashing away. Zane wrapped his arm around me and flashed into his room, slamming the door shut behind him and turning to pull me into his arms. He stroked his hand through my hair and pulled me tight against his body. He was nearly vibrating in anger and I could sense a shift in him. He was handling me so delicately, like he was afraid I'd break.  

"Is it true?" I asked quietly, afraid to hear the answer confirming my fear.

He exhaled loudly and pressed a kiss to the top of my head. "He changed the conditions of the deal. He claims the only way to avoid a breach of treaty is to specify some of the slaves they'd requested. We'd agreed to sending a certain number, but they never requested a certain type. Only that they be house slaves. He says now that he's 'seen what the Queen's beauties have to offer' that the King will accept nothing less than what he's requesting."

"Which is...?" I asked after a moment's pause, pulling back to search his eyes. He had then shut tight, his face pinching into a deep scowl. My hand floated to his cheek, caressing against his skin. 

His eyes slowly opened, but they were filled with a mixture of sadness and anger. "He wants you and Braelyn."

My jaw dropped in surprise and I suddenly felt as if a rock had dropped deep down in my stomach. My chest tightened and it felt like the room was beginning to shrink. I stepped out of Zane's hold, and he allowed me to move away from him, not moving to follow me as I tugged a hand through my hair in anger. 

"Why? Why does he want us?" I said, finally turning to face Zane.

He shook his head and his expression hardened. "I don't know why he wants Braelyn, but he wants you removed from me, to ensure that I hold up my end of the agreement with Lilith. He think I'm too tempted by you, and my father actually agreed." He said with a snarl. 

"Does...the Queen know yet? She'd never give one of her young girls away like this. Or me. She just spoke with me today about working with Amara when Lilith gets here so I'll be out of her way." I said in exasperation. 

He growled in frustration and began to pace slowly. "No. My father fucking agreed on her behalf. He said it was the only way to keep the peace and since I'd 'gotten you out of my system', I should have no problem releasing you. He said if I didn't, he'd just find a way to do it himself permanently. He knows I care about you Ana. If I don't let them, he'll just find a way to kill you."

I stood frozen in place, the room still shrinking continuously as it felt like it was coming down on me. I stalked over to the door and wrenched open the door, stepping out onto the balcony and inhaling deeply. I let the cool air wash over me as I closed my eyes tight, trying to regain my composure, controlling my racing my heart as it slowly began to return to normal. My hand gripped hard against the railing as I felt my shaking body slowly steady. I opened my eyes and turned to walk back when I stopped, seeing Zane standing in the doorway with a hopeless expression on his face. 

"I'm so sorry Ana. I don't know how to get out of this. Even telling my mother won't help at this point. There's nothing she can do about it. He's already agreed. They're taking both of you tomorrow." His voice was tight with anger and I knew he was having just as hard of a time accepting this as I was.