Chapter 88.

Ana's POV

My eyes fluttered open and for a moment, it all seemed so surreal. I'd nearly forgotten where I was, or even who I now was.

Queen.

That weight was one I never thought I'd feel prepared for, but it felt right as it was set on my shoulders. Zane stirred beside me and I slowly rolled over to look at him. He was flat on his stomach with his face buried into his pillow, his arms strewn out above his head. He looked completely relaxed. All lines in his face had disappeared and he had an expression of peace. One I hadn't seen in a long time.

I couldn't resist the urge to reach out for him, needing to reassure myself that all of this was real. That he was truly here beside me. That he was actually, finally, mine. My fingers slowly traced the curves and valleys of each muscle across his back, memorizing it one inch at a time. I heard him let out a slow breath and then I felt his eyes on me.

I looked up to meet his icy blue gaze. They were not fully alert, but he was looking at me as if he needed to be sure I was as real as I needed him to be.

"Good morning." He said, his voice thick with sleep.

I gave him a slow smile and responded. "I didn't mean to wake you."

He leaned into my hand and his eyes blinked slowly as my fingers twisted through his hair softly. "I could wake up to your touch every day for a thousand years and be completely content."

My heart fluttered and I smiled, genuinely. I couldn't remember the last time I'd done so, and I'd been smiling for the last twenty four hours straight it seemed.

He pushed up on his elbow and rolled closer to me, draping his arm across my torso just above my stomach as his hand tucked a hair behind my ear before stroking against my cheek.  "Are you happy Ana?" He asked quietly.

My hand dipped around his and I nodded earnestly. "More than I thought I ever could be. I keep thinking I'll wake up and it will all have been a dream."

He leaned down, pressing his lips to mine softly as he breathed me in. I felt a feeling so whole, so happy as we touched. And I could feel the same rolling off of him. He pulled back and let his hand drop to rest against my stomach as he smiled. "I want you to feel this happy every day Ana. Every single day."

He looked up and gave me the most serious expression. He wanted me to know he meant every word.

I nodded once and smiled. "How could I not be?"

He placed a kiss on my stomach, whispering good morning to our daughter and I let out a quiet laugh. Was this what everyone else had? Was this normal? A terrifying thought hit me that one day I could lose all of this joy. All of this love could be taken from anyone who was our enemy. I felt a cord tighten within me, as if pressing new resolve into my mine. I would protect this life at all costs. I would protect my loved ones above all else. I would never go without this feeling ever again.

Zane looked up at me and met my gaze with an equal look of possessiveness.

"They'll have to kill me first to separate us. I'll never let us be apart again." He said, promising to both me and our child. I nodded and blinked back the emotion coursing through me.