Chapter 40.

The sitting room surrounding us was cozy, but large enough to seat at least five or six people comfortably. A stone fireplace was placed in the middle of the wall to the back as the furniture faced it. To the left of the main door was a small kitchen and dining room, and to the right was a plain staircase leading to the bedrooms above.

"It's been a long night, so I am sure you're all very tired. Everyone find your rooms upstairs. They're all the same, so pick whichever you'd like. I'll be in the one down here for security purposes. I'll see you all in the morning." She said before shuffling toward the door on the right wall leading into the main floor bedroom.

Kora smiled at me saying goodnight before heading upstairs, leaving myself and Ehren to follow behind. We made our way up the stairs, landing in front of two bedrooms directly across from each other, with the room Kora occupied at the end of the hall.

"I guess I'll take this one." I said, stopping in front of the door to my left.

"Goodnight then." Ehren Said after a moment, nodding as he stepped in front of the door to the right.

"Ehren?" I said softly.

He stopped, turning to face me as his brows rose. "What is it?"

"Thank you...for everything you've done for me I mean. Even before, when I was at Maddox's kingdom. You've always done what you could to help me and I've never truly thanked you for it." My voice was low, quiet as I spoke, not wanting to disturb the others.

His lips hid a ghost of a smile as they curled up at the edges, his electric blue eyes floating up to meet mine. "You never need to thank me Ana..for anything. I do whatever I can for you because I care about your well being. That's it. I would do it regardless of any acknowledgement. I've always sensed something different in you, even from the first moment I saw you in the parlour with Maddox at first introductions."

I felt a heat rush my cheeks and my chest tightened in my chest as he looked down at me, as if I was the only person in the world he was looking at. "Well...thank you. I'll try to not make you regret giving up all you had to help me." I said, my eyes fluttering to the floor as I tucked a hair behind my ear. I suddenly felt self conscious under his watchful gaze, as if he was trying to look inside of me, searching for my secrets. For my soul.

He stepped closer, tucking his fingers under my chin to bring my gaze up to meet his. "Nothing you could do would give me cause for regret. You're worth it all and more." His voice was low, as if he was speaking a secret. But his eyes pierced into mine, nearly melting me into a pool on the floor.

Feeling his gaze and his touch against my skin pulled the memories of Zane looking at me in the exact same way, and I felt the all too familiar stab of pain in my chest. The feeling was too familiar. Too similar. Each of them had their own way of pulling me into this whole other dimension, as if only the two of us existed in this moment as long as their eyes held mine. I was his captive in this moment, but I had to shake it off.

I quickly cleared my throat, stepping back as I broke his hold over me. "I...I think it's time we get to sleep. Goodnight Ehren." I said, opening my door and stepping into the bedroom before turning around.

"Goodnight Ana." He replied, mirroring my own actions as we both tried to smile before shutting the door.

He'd seen me in all my forms. Seen me in all versions from good to awful. But tonight, I'd never seen that look in his eyes before. As if he only saw me. It was as if he was seeing me in my truest form, without all the pain and muck surrounding our past. It was as if...he wanted me. I felt my heart twist slightly, knowing I'd never have that look from Zane again and I let a breath push out of my lungs as I walked over to drop down onto the bed.