Chapter 38.

*Cast: Aurelia (Ana's mom), Thaddeus (Ana's father)

I said his name on a breath, standing a little straighter as the memory of Maddox's words to Zane rang loudly through my mind.

"Hello Ana. Can I come in?" He asked quietly, looking around as if he was unsure of my answer.

My hand tightened on the knob as my body stiffened, my heart beating a little faster in my chest, which I knew he could hear. "How did you find me? Who else is here with you?" I asked cautiously, trying hard to keep my voice even.

"It's a long story, but I'll tell you everything I can. I'm here to help you Ana. You know me. You know I wouldn't hurt you." He said lowly, as if he was trying not to spook me.

I wiped the tears away from my face and held my ground. "I also know you'll follow your orders regardless of your feelings about them." I said, a little venom slipping into my words. He'd done everything he could during my time in Maddox's kingdom to help me without jeopardizing his own standing or even his life, and I knew that. At the time, I was just glad to have someone helping me at all. But he'd still worked alongside Maddox all the same, carrying out orders even if he hated doing them. I'd trusted him once, but I wasn't sure I could afford to do so now. Maddox could have sent him to lure me out, knowing I'd let him willingly.

His hands rose in surrender as his brows lifted. "No. Not anymore. I heard what Maddox wanted to do with you if he found you. He wanted to kill Zane and take your power for himself, killing you and ruling over us all. Taking everyone's free will away from them. I couldn't stand by him after hearing such a thing. So Zane, Fallon and I made a plan. I left as soon as I could to try and beat them here once I'd heard their plans. They're coming for you tonight Ana. They know where you are."

"Come inside quickly." I said, ushering him in and closing the door quickly.

"How did you get inside without being detected? How did you even know where this place was Ehren?" I asked as my mind began to race. Maddox was coming for me, he wanted to steal every ounce of power I had and this time I wouldn't have Zane's mark to stop him.

"I killed the oracle in training here who was leaking information to Maddox's oracle. I had no choice. She'd have alerted them that I was here. I convinced the oracle working with him that I was going ahead for recon and had her draw the girl out. Once I found her, she led me in willingly. I can tell you more, but we have to get out of here now." He said, his face drawn into a frown.

I shook my head, crossing my arms over my chest. "I can't just leave now. Not after everything we've gone through to get here. Zane risked everything to get me back to these people. So that I could learn and train. I just got here Ehren. I won't abandon everyone and leave them to Maddox's warriors. We have to tell my parents and Delphine. They'll know what to do." I said, grabbing my clothes and changing quickly.

Had it been anyone else, I would have taken the extra time to run into the bathroom, but this was Ehren. He'd seen me in every stage, from bad to worse. We didn't have time for pleasantries now. I tossed my nightshirt on the bed and pulled on my shoes before walking toward the door. His hand reached for my wrist and tugged back slightly, bringing me to a stop.

"There's something else you should know Ana." He said, speaking slowly as his voice dropped lower, softer.

I froze, the thought rushing back into my mind. "I know." I said quietly before turning to look back at him over my shoulder. "I saw it...Their ceremony." My hand rose to rub the skin now absent of Zane's mark and his eyes followed.

He gave me a sympathetic look and squeezed my arm reassuringly before releasing me. "Ok then. Let's go." He said as I lead him out the door.

We quietly made our way down the boardwalks until we came to the door that lead to Delphine's. Most of the people had already made their way home for bed, but a few still milled around in the corners, gathering quietly.