Step Six: Tripping

for those who don't know, a papasan (which is mentioned in this chapter) is a chair that looks like a large pillow shaped into a nest-like mold. here's a picture just so you can get a visual.

 here's a picture just so you can get a visual

"So they're dating-"

"I already said that none of us know!" Daehwi launches a pillow across the room, my arm coming up just quick enough to keep it from hitting my face. "She just kinda showed up one day, and they're inseparable."

"And your agency just lets them?" I'm almost frothing at the mouth, my shock palpable. "Aren't idols supposed to have the boyfriend image without being an actual boyfriend?"

He opens his mouth to answer, but is dramatically saved by a knock to the other side of his bedroom door. "Daehwi?" I recognize Daniel's mumbling voice, his confusion obvious as he calls out for the youngest. "What's with the shouting? You good?"

I stand myself up and rush towards the closet, Daehwi rushing himself towards the door with his phone suddenly pressed to his ear. I shut myself away just as he yanks the bedroom door open, mumbling something about calling someone back. "Sorry, was I yelling?" He asks Daniel innocently, who doesn't reply. "I was on the phone with an old friend, and he keeps asking me stupid questions I don't know the answers to."

I roll my eyes in the dark, huddling further into the small closet beneath Daehwi's hoard of sweatshirts. "I thought I heard someone else talking to you," Daniel says quietly, but Daehwi only laughs at the idea.

"I had my friend on speaker for a while. I get so tired of holding the phone in place, so... Yeah." Daehwi sounds close to the closet, and I pray to God that the stupid kid isn't leaning against the door to try and protect me. He's only going to get the both of us found out.

"Well uh, try to keep it down. Jihoon and Jinyoung are both asleep already."

My ears perk up at Daniel's words, and I pull my phone from my pocket to check the time. "Nine-fourteen," I whisper to myself. How bizarre.

"When did Jihoon-Hyung get back? I didn't even hear him come home."

Daniel's reply is quiet, and I have to press my ear against the closet door to hear him properly. "...dinner I guess. I dunno, but Jinyoung has been locked in their room since the rest of us left the funeral party, and Jisung has been cleaning the whole apartment for hours." He coughs, clearly finding the prolonged conversation awkward. "Well, since you're alright, I'll leave you and Woojin alone."

I drop my face into my hands, my tense shoulders sagging as the air rushes from my lungs. "Dammit," I curse under my breath. The closet door creaks open a moment later, light from the bedroom streaming in to reveal me crouched beneath shirts and sweaters. Daniel peeks in on me, his eyes narrowed and his lips curled in an obvious grimace.

"You literally chose the worst person to hide you. We can hear him from outside the apartment building." Daniel opens the door the rest of the way, holding his hand out to help me up. I don't take it, pushing myself up just like in the bathroom earlier today. "Not to mention, he took his dinner to his room."