Step Twelve: Trekking

hi, jihoon is baby boy culture. also, there's no point to the song, i just really like the boyz and their latest comeback is really fun. it's a love song of sorts, so i guess it fits the story

+ I ordered the Wanna One Summer Package because i really like wasting my money on those fools, so that's great, and i'm very excited to have it arrive in a few weeks.

.

It isn't particularly easy to convince my manager that I can't attend practices today. Apparently, in a mad dash to remain relevant, Next5 have a scheduled rapid-fire comeback for the third week in November. New dances are to be learned, new lines are to be arranged, and recordings need to be done within the next few weeks. But I'm adamant about today. I'm adamant about spending just one day in my hometown, and visiting what I had to leave behind in the south.

Manager Kim tries to wager with me, saying I can have my birthday in just a few days off for a few hours. I can even interrupt the day's schedules to have our whole group of eleven go out and celebrate together. But I don't want to bother with any of that. I want today, and I'll take it with or without permission.

Thankfully, he can sense the urgency in my voice when I explain just why I can't be in the studios, his eyes falling to the ground between us as his sigh hangs stiff from his bottom lip. I can tell he doesn't want to let me leave. But the subtle wave of his hand towards the studio door sets me free in an instant.

Rushing through the cramped third floor studio hall, the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end each time memories surface, I'm not even surprised to see my idols stepping off the elevator ahead of me. They typically arrive after us dancers, though they stay later when learning newer choreography.

Each member bows their head in turn as I pass them in a straight line, Jihoon's hand reaching out from the end of the line when I don't stop to greet them back. "Where are you going? Didn't your practice already start?"

Daehwi pauses with our pair, waving the other three along towards their own practice studio. I'm sure their instructor is waiting on the edge of her seat, having already dealt with my rambunctious group today, she is more than likely prepared to dash out upon the idols' arrivals.

"I've got family obligations," I tell Jihoon quietly, gripping his wrist and pulling his hand from my arm gently.

"Your family's not even in Korea," he points out, his eyes narrowed and his cheeks puffed out.

"You don't think I realize that?" I wave him off, glancing up at the end of the hall where a large clock hangs on the wall. "I've gotta go right now, or I'm going to miss my train, okay?" I give he and Daehwi both a quiet nod, sending myself off without a proper explanation.

Not surprisingly, two pairs of footsteps follow behind me as I reach out for the elevator call button and step inside the first to arrive. "Hyung, you can't disappear on such an important practice." Daehwi's small hand is smothered beneath his coat's sleeve, but he grabs for my arm anyhow. "We've got two new demo songs to work through today!"

I shrug him off, my eyebrows furrowing at my reflection in the elevator doors before they pull apart and reveal the bright lobby. "Daehwi, trust me, a dance can be taught at any time of the day. It doesn't matter if I'm a few hours late to the practice."

Stepping off, two pairs of footsteps still trailing behind me, I heave a painful sigh. "You two should both just go back upstairs before your own practice gets held up." Glancing over my shoulder at the two, it's not surprising to see that they merely exchange annoyed glances before stepping closer to me.

"Where are you really going?" Jihoon questions, knocking his hand into my shoulder. Our friendship hasn't grown or dwindled. Really, whatever interactions we have vary day by day. Some days he awakens in the morn to send me a message about his dreams. Other days, he ventures towards me like I'm the closest person he has now. And on horrible days, he acts out against me, telling me I don't mean anything to him, or anyone else forced to see me everyday.