Chapter 1

[Now Liuer is 10, Courtney is 17.]

In the center of the village, some people were putting on a puppet show about the story of Sun Wukong.

"Sun Wukong, The Great Monkey King, fights the Four Heavenly Kings!"

That was, until Liuer interrupted them, playing with his Sun Wukong doll. "Sun Wukong can never die!"

"You're ruining the show!" One of the men helping run the puppet show exclaimed, not to pleased with Liuer interrupting said puppet show.

"Fa Min!" The man yells out, holding up Liuer. "Where are you?" That's when Courtney sees this and Liuer breaks out of his grasp. "Get back here!" The man yells out a Liuer.

"I apologize, sir, i-it won't happen again.." Courtney apologizes before catching up with her brother. Though, Liuer had other things in mind, like aimlessly running around the village with his Sun Wukong doll.

"Liuer, please.." Courtney mumbles, hoping he'll at least slow down so she could catch up to him. While this is going on, Liuer just ends up causing a ruckus everywhere he goes. Courtney hopes no one notices her and hides her face, slightly embarrassed. That was finally when Liuer bumped into someone. That some one being the man who raised them. "Shifu?" Liuer looks up and asks. "Liuer, what are you up to now?" Instead of answering Liuer's question, he asks this as he looks down at him.

Liuer makes up an exuse, hoping he won't get in trouble. It was then when Courtney finally caught up to him.

"Shifu, I tried to stop him, but he was just too fast.." Courtney explains.

"I hope you grow up to be a good monk.." He just replies with, trying to wipe off the makeup on Liuer's face, Liuer just wipes off what's left.

"Then you won't have to be like the rest of the people in the world." He finishes with, starting to walk away, Liuer and Courtney then begin following him.

"Uh, I have a question." Liuer speaks up. "As monks, we spend our days trying to find ways to fill our bellies, how is that different from everyone else in this world?" He asks. This get Courtney thinking herself, despite not being a monk because she's a female.

"Of course it's different. Begging for alms is just the beginning of becoming a great monk." Shifu explains to him, hoping Liuer would understand.

"Through silence, meditation, and practicing zen." The three of them say in unison. "Do not ask for much now and you'll find peace in your heart." Shifu explains, trying back to look at Liuer. "Take a look at me- am I not doing well?"

"But the moutain trolls keep attacking..." Courtney states simply. "Reciting sutras won't scare them away." Liuer chimes in with.

"So what would you two do then, children?" Shifu asks, looking over at Courtneg and Liuer.

Liuer and Courtney look over at each other. "I would learn Kung Fu and beat the trolls!" Liuer answers enthusiastically.

This results in getting hit in the head by Shifu's walking stick/cane.

"To save the world, you don't have to be a warrior. Meditating, reciting sutras, and begging for alms, we monks are saving the world with each little good deed." Shifu explains, Liuer rubbing his head from where he got hit. Courtney pats her brother on the shoulder, giving him a sympathetic smile. She understood he only wanted to be like their childhood hero. She was even one of the people who continued to tell him the story of Sun Wukong after losing their parents.

"Don't forget how the slow turtle won the race, everything is an illusion, life is an illusion of your desires. Don't be quick to fight. Instead, you should-" Shifu tries explaining, but gets interrupted by Liuer. "Recite my sutras like a good monk.."

"Wrong answer! And no talking back!"

"Ah, I love those children.."

"Yes, Shifu.."

"But someday, he'll be a great monk.."

Shifu begins walking away, leaving Liuer and Courtney on the bridge.

They just look over at each other, then at the sky, to where it had started raining.