'Well, That Esculated Quickly'

The Edge of the Forest

There's a faint rustle... then James, Victoria and Laurent emerge. As they near, Bella and Harley sees their bare feet, then the deep burgundy of their eyes. Laurent holds up the baseball.

"I believe this belongs to you." He tosses the ball, his casual toss is still blindingly fast, to Carlisle who easily catches it and smiles politely.

"Thank you."

"Could you use three more players?"

Carlisle nods. "Of course."

"I'm Laurent. This is Victoria. And James."

"Would you like to bat first?" Laurent picks up a bat. The Cullens take the field. Carlisle is catcher, Edward is on first, with Bella behind him, near the Jeep. Emmett is still holding onto Harley to the side of the games, watching. Rosalie with them, pretending to be uninterested but is still watching them with caution.

Bella sees that Edward's eyes are locked onto James. Laurent is at bat first.

"I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us."

"Our apologies. We didn't realize the territory had been claimed."

"Yes, we maintain a permanent residence." The three newcomers exchange a look of surprise.

"Really? Well, we won't be a problem any more."

Victoria smirks. "The humans were tracking us, but we led them East-" Jasper pitches the ball and Laurent slams it but Alice is up a tree is a flash and the ball slams into Alice's hand with a thwap. Laurent is pissed, but James smiles ever so slightly, delighted at the discovery of worthy opponents. James is up next and he power-slams it with amazing force... He runs past first, past Edward, past Bella...

As the wind from the ball ruffles her hair, carrying her scent, which floats to James, Harley being blocked by both Emmett and Rosalie doesn't get her scent flown into the air, suddenly screeches to a halt. His head whips around at her and he lurches into a crouch, his nostrils flaring, excitedly, eyes locked on Bella.

"You brought a snack."

Edward springs in front of Bella, baring his teeth. A truly menacing, feral snarl rips from his throat. James growls back. In a flash, the Cullens rush into position behind Edward, Emmett putting Harley behind him but next to Bella, Laurent and Victoria line up behind James.

"The girl is with us." Carlisle doesn't mention Harley when he realises they only smell Bella.

Laurent tries to defuse situation. "We won't harm her."

Emmett is hungry for battle, especially when his human mate is within area.  "Just try it."

"I think it best if you leave." Carlisle suggests.

Laurent nods. "Yes, I can see the game is over. We'll go now. James?" But James' eyes don't leave Edward's. Laurent puts a hand on James' shoulder, and finally, James backs into the woods with his cohorts, disappearing. Once they're gone, Esme immediately gathers up the bats--