Chapter 1

I've been starring out the same window, watching the world go by, well more like the clouds. I have been like this for the past four and half hours. I just want this flight to be over already, to bad there is still like an hour or so left of the flight, I think. Maybe I should just take nap to make this flight end sooner. I am currently on an airplane heading to my new home in Los Angelo's California from Washington D.C. However, as always, I will be forced to leave in three to six months, give or take to who knows where next.

I should probably introduce myself, my name is Valentine Reid. I am seventeen years old and I am a senior in high school. You're probably wondering why I said I will be forced to leave in like three to six months. Well you see my dad, Henry Reid, is in the military and lucky me, he is restationed about every three to six months. That makes it very hard to make friends and to start/be in a relationship. So, because of this, I have no friends, well, unless you count my dad's army buddies. The last time I had any friends and was in a relationship, was in eighth grade.

I have short light brown hair that I gel in the front and brown eyes. I have a toned body and an eight pack from all the working out and training with my dad and his army buddies. I stand at 5'7 and have my right ear pierced. Don't be fooled by my appearance, I am a girl. You should also know that I am intersex and gay. People always assume I'm a boy when we first meet, and I just go along with it. It's not like it really matters anyways, I mean I am only around for roughly three to six months anyways. Plus, I kinda prefer people think I'm a boy. The only people that know I'm a girl are my dad, the rest of my family, and his best friend back in D.C.

My mom died when I was five. I don't really remember her, but I have seen pictures of her and my dad used to tell me stories about her. After my mom died, my dad became very protective of my, after all I was the last thing my mom ever gave to him. Growing up, me and my dad were really close, that was until I came out, then it was as if a switch was flipped in his brain. I came out in eighth grade and introduced my dad to my girlfriend. After that, he distanced himself from me. We barley talk and we never hang out anymore. We only talked when we have to and only hang out when we had to attend something for the army.

The airplane finally lands. The usual routine starts, me and my dad grab our bags and exit the airplane. We collect our other luggage and load it into the awaiting car of one of my dad's army friend's. He starts driving to our new house. I was originally born and raised in Miami Florida and I truly miss it. When I came out to my dad in eighth grade, that is when we started moving approximately every three to six months. "It's nice to finally meet you Valentine, I'm Joe" says Joe, "Your dad talks about you all the time." I just nod my head and look out the window. Well that's a shocker, it's probably so that he won't look bad in front of his friends.

"Not much of a talker are ya" ask Joe. I just continue to stare out the window. Joe continues to talk to me, "So your dad says that you're going to River Valley High. That happens to be the high school my son attends, maybe you two can be friends." I look at him and reply, "Whatever." I put my ear buds in my ears and listen to music while looking out the window. Joe finally takes the hint and doesn't talk to me the rest of the way. Joe and my dad start talking about something. We finally arrive and carry our things in.

"You know the routine" my dad says. I just nod and walk upstairs. I examine the three bedrooms upstairs and choose the one at the end of the hall for a few reasons. It's the farthest from my dad's room, it's the easiest room to sneak out of, and it's the biggest. I set my bags down and walk into the kitchen. I see my dad on the phone and his laptop is open. I get a cup and put some water in it. I take a sip and my dad hangs up. "The moving truck won't be here till tomorrow" says my dad. "Ok" I reply. There is a knock at the door and my dad answers it. He comes back in with a box of pizza. After we eat, I take a shower, and go to sleep.

The next couple of weeks consisted of mainly me unboxing everything and setting everything up. My dad is usually at work getting settled in. I finally finish organizing my room and see that's its only two in the afternoon. I start my senior year my new school River Valley High tomorrow and have spent the last couple of weeks at the house. So, I decided to walk around town and get familiar with the area. Also to enjoy my last day of freedom and just to get out of the house.

As I'm walking into some coffee shop, I bump into a guy. "Sorry" I say. "It's fine, don't worry about it. Nice accent, you on vacation" the guy asks. "Just moved here a few weeks ago" I answer. "Well welcome to Los Angelo's" the guy says, "I'm Nick." Nick holds out his hand and I shake his hand. "Valentine" I reply. Nick ask, "You don't happen to be Henry Reid's kid by chance, do you?" "I am" I reply. "I'm Joe's kid. Why don't I show you around?" "I guess" I reply shrugging my shoulders. It's either that or wonder around aimlessly. I spend the rest of my day with Nick as he shows me around.

After the tour and dinner, I go home. I walk in and my dad looks up from his laptop. "I ran into Nick, Joe's kid earlier today. He gave me a tour of the town and we ate dinner" I say. "That's good, I approve" my dad says. I roll my eyes and say, "We have been over this, I'm gay. I like girls, not boys." "You're a girl, you're suppose to date boys, not girls" my dad says. "I'm not having this conversation with you again, I'm going to bed, I have school tomorrow" I say and head to my bedroom.

Here is the first chapter of Never Just Assume.  Thanks for reading.  What did you think?  What do you think will happen next?  What do you want to happen next?  As always votes and comments are appreciated.