Chapter 22

I wake up with a smile on my face and check the time. Its ten in the morning and my dad will be here in two hours. My dad is going to be coming home today for a week. I jump out of bed and quickly get dressed. I walk downstairs and see a note on the counter top. It says 'Val, went to the store to get some things I forgot to get last time I was at the store for the barbeque. While I'm gone can you set everything up outside?' I set the note back down on the counter top and walk outside.

"Surprise" I hear people yell. I jump slightly and look to my left. I see my aunt, Courtney, Courtney's family, my friends from school, and Joe. "Aunt Abigail" I whine, "Why?" Great, I have to deal with Nick, Leo, and Joe. "Stop whining" my aunt says. Courtney walks over and wraps her arms around my neck. I wrap my arms around her waist as she whispers, "Happy birthday babe." "So, I'm guessing we aren't doing what I originally had planned" I say. "Nope" Courtney says, "And why didn't you tell me your birthday was today?"

I shrug, "I don't usually celebrate my birthday." "That's going to change" Courtney says, "You will be celebrating your birthday every year from now on." Courtney pecks me on the lips as my friends come over. "Happy birthday" Destiny says and hugs me. "Happy birthday man" Ricky says as we fist bump. "Happy eighteenth birthday" Zari says and hugs me. "Happy birthday" Zeke says. Everyone else comes up and tells me happy birthday and I thank everyone.

"Now" my aunt says, "Lets get this party started." Me and my friends talk and play some games outside while the adults talk and get lunch ready. Once its time to eat lunch, everyone sits down and begins to eat. I glance at the doors all through lunch waiting for my dad to walk in. When everyone finishes lunch, I open all my gifts. My aunt walks into the house to get my cake after I finish opening all my gifts. I sit down and sigh. Courtney walks over and sits on my lap, "What's wrong?" "My dad was supposed to be home already" I reply as my phone begins to ring, "Hello."

"Happy birthday Val" my dad says. "Hi dad" I say smiling as Courtney gets off my lap to give me some privacy, "Where are you?" "Something came up, but I'll be home tomorrow" my dad says. "Ok" I reply. "We will do whatever you want" my dad says, "Can you hand the phone to Abigail, I need to talk to her?" "Sure" I reply walking over to my aunt and handing her the phone. My aunt walks back into the house to talk to my dad. Ten minutes later, my aunt comes back, and the party continues.

After another few hours, me and Courtney decide to walk around town. We end up going to an arcade and after playing multiple games that I let Courtney win, we end up at an ice cream store eating ice cream. "I can't believe you won't let me pay for anything" Courtney says, "It is your birthday after all." "I could care less that it's my birthday" I say, "Birthday or not, its valentine's day today." Courtney rolls her eyes and says, "Your impossible." "Only for you" I reply. "You dork" Courtney says.

The next day, me and Courtney are sitting in my living room talking while I wait for my dad to come home. "So basically, your parents saw an opportunity and took it" Courtney says. "Yep" I reply, "Since I was born on valentine's day, they had to name me Valentine. It's also a special day for them, it's the day they first met on and the day my dad proposed." "Wow" Courtney says, "That's beautiful." I should tell Courtney the truth. Valentine's day is over, and the next big thing is prom and then graduation. I don't want to ruin prom or graduation for Courtney in case she doesn't take it well. Oh god, I hope this doesn't turn out bad.

"Val" Courtney says snapping me out of my thoughts. "Yeah" I say. "You ok" Courtney asks, "You looked deep in thought." I reply, "I'm fine, it's just...Courtney I need to tell you something." Courtney asks, "What is it?" I say, "Just promise to hear me out before you do or say anything." Courtney looks at me confused but says, "I promise." "Courtney I..." I say, "I'm not who you think I am." "What are you talking about" Courtney asks, "Your Valentine Reid, my amazing boyfriend and hero."

I scratch the back of my neck, "Yes and no." "Yes and no" Courtney asks, "What is that suppose to mean?" I take a deep breath and stick out my hand, "Hello, my name is Valentine Reid and I'm-" I get interrupted by knocking on the door. "That's probably my dad" I say, "I'll be right back." Courtney nods and I walk over to the door. I open the door, "Hey da-...Steve? What are you..." I stare at Steve in shock and then look down at the ground and then back at Steve. I whisper, "No..."

"I'm so sorry Val" Steve says. I lean against the wall and slide down it til I'm sitting on the floor. "Do you want to tell Abigail or do you want me to" Steve asks. "What happened" Courtney asks, "Why are you crying Val?" "I'll go tell her" Steve says, "Where is she?" "The back yard" I whisper. Steve walks to the back yard and Courtney walks over to me. "What's going on" Courtney asks. "My dads dead" I say as I begin to cry. Courtney wraps her arms around me and I cry onto her shoulder.

Thanks for reading.  What did you think?  What do you think will happen next?  What do you want to happen next?  As always votes and comments are appreciated.