CHAPTER THREE: CAREER DECISION

Nino waves as Adrien climbs into the back seat of the car. "See you tonight, dude!" He calls out.

     "See ya!" Adrien waves back, and closes the door. Nathalie is sitting next to him, and his bodyguard is driving, as usual.

     "What is he talking about?" Nathalie asks. "What's tonight?"

     "Some friends invited us to go see a movie with them," Adrien replies. "No big deal." When Nathalie doesn't say anything, he adds, "It's okay, isn't it?"

     "Adrien, you know you have a photo shoot today," Nathalie replies.

     "It will be after the photo shoot," Adrien points out. "Please? I just want to hang out with my friends like a normal kid."

     Nathalie sighs. "Fine, but only if your bodyguard goes with you."

     Of course, I can't go anywhere without my bodyguard... Adrien thinks. But he is still happy that Nathalie is letting him go. "Thank you," he says respectfully.

     The car pulls up to the Agreste mansion, and Adrien hops out. He immediately rushes to his room to get ready for the photo shoot.

     "Are you really going to the movies with your bodyguard tonight?" Adrien's kwami, Plagg, asks. "We've lost him before, I'm sure we could do it again."

     "Not his time, Plagg," Adrien replies. "If I keep doing that, then eventually my father won't let me out of the house at all! And then things will be right back to the way they were before..."

     "Fine," Plagg agrees reluctantly. "But just make sure you get me some of that buttery popcorn!"

     Adrien rolls his eyes. "Wouldn't dream of forgetting that," he says.

     Suddenly, there is a knock on Adrien's bedroom door. "Hide, Plagg!" He says, and the kwami quickly ducks behind the couch.

     "Come in," Adrien says, and is surprised to discover that his father, Gabriel Agreste, steps through the doorway.

     "I have something to discuss with you, son," Gabriel says, not even a hint of emotion on his face.

     "Could you make it quick?" Adrien asks. "As I'm sure you know, I have a photo shoot to get to."

     "Yes, yes, of course," Gabriel replies, and to Adrien's even further surprise his father sits down on the couch. "But we need to talk first."

     Adrien stops getting ready and sits down next to his father. "Okay," he says. "But since when do you want to talk about anything?"

     Gabriel ignores his son's comment. "Adrien, you know how important a man's career is."

     Adrien sighs. To his father, a career is the most important thing... even more important than family, apparently.

     "Sometimes, it is necessary to do certain things to help that career along," Gabriel continues.

     "What are you getting at, Father?" Adrien asks impatiently.

     "You know Chloe Bourgeois, the mayor's daughter?"

     Of course he knows her! He has since they were toddlers. "Yeah," Adrien says slowly, not sure he likes where this conversation is going.

     "I want you to start dating her."

     "WHAT?!" Adrien shouts, jumping up from his seat.

     "I don't see what is so shocking," Gabriel says calmly.

     "For one, you barely even let me out of the house or have friends," Adrien replies, "and now out of nowhere you ask me to date a girl? And two, I do not want to date Chloe! There's no way!"

     "I know this may seem strange to you, but it's for the best," Gabriel tells him.

     "How so?" Adrien asks, his arms folded.

     "Dating the mayor's daughter, a girl as famous in this city as you, will do wonders for your career... and for the popularity of my company."

     "Of course, I should have known this was all about you," Adrien huffs. "You don't care anything about me, just about your company!"

     "That's not true, it'll help with your career as well."

     "I don't care about my career!" Adrien shouts. "I model for you because I don't have a choice. But I do have a choice in this, and I am not going to date Chloe Bourgeois!"

     Gabriel stands up, his hands clasped behind his back. "We'll see about that," he says as he exits the room and shuts the door behind him.