CHAPTER ELEVEN: SECRET IDENTITIES

The school bell rings. The students rush out of their classes. Adrien still isn't sure what exactly he is going to say to Marinette, but he knows that he needs to say something. He waits outside for her to come out, and then finally spots her with Alya.

     "Marinette," he calls to her.

     Alya pats Marinette's shoulder comfortingly, and walks away. Adrien then grabs Marinette's arm gently, and pulls her away from earshot of all the other students.

     "Adrien, what is going on?" Marinette asks hesitantly.

     "This is going to seem crazy," Adrien tells her. "In fact, I'm not sure how to tell you this."

     Marinette stares blankly at him, and he feels like a complete idiot.

     "I really am sorry about yesterday Marinette," he says. "If I had only known..."

     "Known what?" She asks. "You're not making sense."

     Adrien glances around to make sure no one else is listening, and then he notices her earrings for the first time. Her Miraculous, completely confirming everything he discovered last night! His hand shaking, he points to them and says, "I know your secret. I know you're Ladybug."

     Marinette is completely silent and frozen in place. She stares at Adrien for a long time before saying, "What? Pfft, I have no idea what you're talking about." She begins to sweat nervously.

     "It's okay," Adrien says, placing both his hands on her shoulders. "Your secret is safe with me because, well, I have a secret too." He pulls back his right hand, and shows her his ring.

     A look of recognition passes over her face. He can tell that she knows it is a Miraculous –Cat Noir's Miraculous– but he can't tell how well she is processing what is happening.

     "I'm sorry to spring this on you," he says. "I swear I had no idea yesterday. But last night..."

     "On the Eiffel Tower," Marinette finishes for him, the shocking realization finally setting in.

     Adrien nods, and Marinette's face turns red with embarrassment.

     "Y-You're Cat Noir?" She says, almost panicky. "B-b-but how?"

     "I know it's a lot to take in," Adrien says. "Trust me, it was really hard for me to process it last night too. But..." Gently, he takes her hand in his. "...I think this could be a good thing."

     "How so?" Marinette asks. "We're not supposed to know each other's identities!"

     "But the fact is, we do now. And I'm going to be honest with you, you have no idea how long I have been wanting to know Ladybug's secret identity."

     Marinette looks terrified. "Why?" She asks.

     "Because," he says, gently tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. "I... I've been in love with Ladybug this whole time. That's who I was talking about yesterday, when I said I was in love with someone else."

     Marinette looks even more terrified than before, and she quickly spins around to where he can't see her face.

     "What's the matter?" Adrien asks. "Are you... are you disappointed that I'm Cat Noir?"

     "N-no, I don't think so," Marinette says with a sniffle, and he can tell that she is crying. "It's just... You fell in love with Ladybug, and now you know that I'm just Marinette. Clumsy, dorky, lame Marinette. You're probably the one who's disappointed."

     Adrien puts his hand on her shoulder. "Not at all! Marinette, you are truly amazing. You're kind and smart, and if I hadn't been so hung up on Ladybug I probably would have noticed you a lot sooner. But now that I've discovered you are Ladybug, I couldn't be happier!"

     "R-really?" She says, turning back around to face him.

     He gently wipes away a tear from her cheek. "Have I ever lied to you, Milady?" He says with a wink.

     Finally, she smiles. But the smile fades quickly. "So we know who each other is now, but what about Chloe?"

     "What about Chloe?" He asks.

     "All of Paris thinks that you're dating her," she says. "Nothing can happen between us right now... it wouldn't be right."

     Before Adrien can say anything more, Marinette walks away, hanging her head. He sighs, knowing that she is right. But a plan begins to formulate inside his head...