CHAPTER NINE: DISCOVERY

"I always told you there was something between you and that girl," Plagg says.

     "Not now Plagg," Adrien says, watching as Marinette disappears from sight. He sighs sadly. "What do I do now? I broke her heart."

     "Well, she had the guts to tell you her feelings," Plagg says. "Maybe you should take a cue from her and tell a certain lady how you feel."

     "Yes, because it went so well for her," Adrien says sarcastically. Again, he gives Plagg some cheese to keep him quiet.

     Suddenly, something catches Adrien's eye. In the distance he spots Ladybug swinging between buildings and running on rooftops. And is she... crying?

     "I wonder what's wrong with her?" Plagg says, munching on his cheese.

     "I don't know," Adrien says worriedly, "but there's only one way to find out. Plagg, claws out!"

     "But I'm not done yet!" Plagg yells as he enters Adrien's Miraculous.

Cat Noir searches and searches the streets of Paris as the sun goes down, but he can't find Ladybug anywhere.

     "Where could she be?" He wonders aloud as he stares at the Eiffel Tower. He doesn't find it quite as beautiful tonight as he usually does, but the more he stares the more he notices something at the top of it. Something that looks like... a person?

     Cat Noir smiles. "Found you." Using his super cat abilities, he climbs up the Eiffel Tower stealthily. At the top, he discovers Ladybug sitting there hugging her knees, gazing at the gorgeous city below, a melancholy look on her face.

     "It's definitely a beautiful view, but not as beautiful as you Milady," Cat Noir says flirtatiously.

     Not now, Cat Noir," Ladybug says, not even looking at him. "I really just want to be alone."

     Cat Noir takes note of the serious tone in her voice. "Typically, I wouldn't mind giving you some alone time. But forgive me if I don't exactly feel comfortable leaving you feeling down on the top of a tower."

     "I'm fine, just please go."

     "I'd rather keep bugging you."

     Ladybug finally turns to him, and glares. But once she realizes that he isn't going anywhere, she turns her attention back to the glittering lights of the city.

     Cat Noir stares at her for a moment, and then takes a seat beside her. "What's on your mind?"

     "Nothing, just not feeling well."

     "I don't believe you."

     "Cat Noir, please!" Ladybug says, growing more frustrated by the second.

     "Come on, I saw you crying earlier," he says. Ladybug seems surprised, but she doesn't say anything. "We're friends, right? You can tell me anything."

     Something seems to sting her when he says this, but he isn't sure why. At first, he thinks she might just push him over the edge of the tower. But instead, she begins to speak.

     "I haven't been able to tell anyone else this, but... I've been in love with someone for a while, and today I finally told him how I feel."

     A spark of jealousy swells up inside Cat Noir. Ladybug is in love with someone? Well, that blows Plagg's idea out of the water...

     "What's wrong with that?" He asks, shoving his heartache down the best he can. "Isn't it a good thing that he knows now?"

     "Not when he's already in love with someone else," she says.

     What is going on here? Cat Noir thinks. Is today the day of lost loves or something?

     "I'm sorry to hear that Ladybug," he says, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I truly am."

     She tries to smile at him, but he can tell that her smile is forced. "Thanks Cat Noir, but I think I'll be alright... in time."

     A silence hangs between them for a few minutes before Cat Noir finally breaks it. "So, if I may ask... who's the lucky guy who holds your affections?"

     "I'm not sure I should tell you," she says.

     "Oh, right... of course," he says, slightly disappointed. He wants to know who the love of his life is in love with, what this mystery guy has that he doesn't.

     "...Adrien Agreste. His name is Adrien Agreste." Ladybug decides to tell him anyway.

     "Wait... wha-what?" Did she really say what he thinks she said?

     "I know. Shocking, right? That someone like me could fall for a famous model."

     But he barely hears her say this. His head is reeling, and the gears in his brain are turning. She... she is in love with me! She doesn't know it's me, but she is in love with me! But wait, she said that she confessed to him –I mean me– how she felt. The only person who did that today was...

     Marinette.

     The realization hits him like a ton of bricks, and he actually has to keep himself from falling over the edge of the tower. Ladybug is Marinette? How could he have been so blind?!

     "Cat Noir, you okay?" Ladybug asks.

     But he is still unable to speak. Ladybug is Marinette... Marinette is Ladybug... Ladybug, the love of my life, is my friend Marinette... so that means, Marinette is the love of my life! I'm in love with Marinette!

     "Um, cat got your tongue?" Ladybug says flatly.

     Cat Noir laughs nervously, rubbing the back of his head. "Sorry, it's just... this situation must be paw-ful for you."

     Should he tell her of his discovery? He wants to, but he shouldn't right now. Probably isn't the best time. Or is it? He has no idea what to do!

     While he is still trying to figure things out in his brain, Ladybug surprises him by giving him a quick hug. He can feel his face heat up, and his heartbeat quickens.

     "Thanks for listening Kitty," Ladybug says, patting him on the head playfully. "I do feel better now." She pauses before adding, "But I should be heading home. It's getting late." She smiles at him, and then swings off the Eiffel Tower and out of sight.