CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: PLANNING

Alarmed by Adrien's phone call, Marinette rushes to his house the quickest way she can... by turning into Ladybug. She swings and hops from building to building, until she finally arrives at the Agreste mansion and ducks into Adrien's bedroom window.

     "What's going on?" She asks after giving him a hug. "You sounded pretty upset over the phone."

     "I'm kind of freaking out," Adrien tells her. "I just had this huge fight with my dad, and then I saw something..."

     "Or think you saw something," Plagg points out.

     "What else could it have been?" Adrien says.

     "Okay, I'm lost," Ladybug says.

     Adrien tries to calm down, and takes a deep breath. "One day I found out that my father has a secret safe behind the portrait of my mother. Plagg and I sort of, um... broke into it, and we discovered a book that talked about all these different superheroes and Miraculouses."

     Ladybug chuckles nervously. "Wow, sounds like some book," she says. She knows the book. Knows it very well.

     "In it, I saw a picture of Hawkmoth... and his Miraculous is a brooch."

     "I'm still not sure where you're going with this," Ladybug says.

     Adrien sighs. "I think I saw that brooch today... on my father."

     Ladybug stares at him blankly. "Say again?"

     "I saw it under his tie," Adrien says. "He wears that tie all the time!"

     "Come on Adrien, you're trying to say your dad is Hawkmoth?" Ladybug says. "I know he can be pretty strict and all, but..."

     "You didn't see him today," Adrien interrupts. "He was a lot madder than I've seen him in a long time. And he got even angrier when I saw the brooch!" He plops down on the couch, and stares out the window worriedly.

     Ladybug thinks about this for a moment. She sits down next to him, and puts her hand on his shoulder. "Okay, so your dad might be Hawkmoth. What do we do now?"

     "I have no idea," Adrien says. "I wish that book hadn't disappeared! It might have been able to help us."

     "Heh heh, about that..." Ladybug says. "I think Tikki might have something to tell you."

     Adrien raises an eyebrow as Ladybug transforms back to her normal self. She catches Tikki in her hands, and places her on the couch next to Adrien.

     "I made Marinette take your book," Tikki tells him.

     "What? But why?" Adrien asks.

     "It's information was invaluable," Tikki replies. "I know someone who can decipher the codes in it."

     "He's working on it as we speak," Marinette adds.

     "Alright then..." Adrien says slowly. "So, do you think he'll be done anytime soon?"

     "Probably not," Tikki admits. "These things take time."

     "I'm not sure we have a whole lot of time," Adrien says. "If my father knows I recognized his brooch, there's no telling what he might try to do." He closes his eyes sadly.

     Marinette hates to see him like this! "Whatever happens, we'll get through it together," she says with a comforting smile.

     Adrien returns the smile, and takes both her hands in his. "Thanks, Marinette. I'm really glad I have you."

     "Enough of the mushy stuff," Plagg says. "Shouldn't we be formulating a plan?"

     "You're actually thinking about something other than cheese?" Tikki jokes.

     "No," Plagg replies. "I want to hurry up and figure out what we're doing so we can get some cheese afterwards!"

     Tikki giggles, and Adrien shakes his head. "He is right, though," he says. "We need to figure out what to do about this."

     Marinette thinks for a moment. "Where is your father at this time of day, usually?"

     "I don't know," Adrien says with a shrug. "He disappears for hours at a time."

     "Well, if he truly is Hawkmoth, then what's the one thing that will draw him out?"

     "Our Miraculouses?" Adrien replies.

     "Exactly," Marinette says with a wink.

     "I don't get it," Adrien says. "Hawkmoth usually Akumatizes someone to get our Miraculouses."

     "But what if Ladybug and Cat Noir where already right in his house?"

     "Hmm," Adrien says, smiling. "You may be onto something!"