CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: TRANSFORMATIONS

"Hey, what's going on out there?" Plagg asks, staring out Adrien's bedroom windows.

     Adrien walks over to his kwami's side, and hears people screaming. He then sees a bright, red light flash and people turning into... ants?

     "Looks like you'll get to see Marinette again sooner than you thought," Plagg teases.

     "That is true, but this is serious!" Adrien says. "Hawkmoth has Akumatized another victim that we have to stop. Plagg, claws out!"

     After he has transformed into Cat Noir, he sneaks out his window and leaps down into the streets of Paris. He is careful to avoid all the large ants crawling around him, as he searches for Ladybug.

     Cat Noir rounds a corner, and is shocked to discover, not Ladybug, but Marinette standing in the middle of the street. She screams, and a flying woman with red hair in an ant suit is pointing a large fountain pen at her. He isn't completely sure, but he's willing to bet that the pen is what is turning people into ants.

     "No, don't!" He screams as the red light shoots from the pen towards Marinette. He has to act, and quickly! No time to think. "Cataclysm!"

     His super power activated, he throws his hand on the ground. This causes the street to split open, and the split spreads all the way to Marinette. She falls down into the hole just before the beam hits her, and Cat Noir uses his baton to leap to her in one bound, catching her by her arm just in time.

     "Not the preferred way to fall for me, Princess," he says with a wink.

     Marinette smiles with relief as he pulls her up. But before they can say anything more, another blast of red light is shot at them. Cat Noir grabs Marinette, and leaps out of the way.

     "So, who is this lady and what is her obsession with ants?" He asks. "Also, what's with the giant pen?"

     "She calls herself the Assist-ANT," Marinette replies. "She's mad at me, for getting her in trouble with her boss or something."

     Cat Noir thinks back to the conversation he witnessed between his father and...

     "Nathalie?" He says in surprise, staring at his father's Akumatized assistant.

     "What makes you think it's her?" Marinette asks as they avoid another blast from the pen.

     "Right after you and Alya left, she and my dad had an argument," he tells her. "Plus, the pen she has looks like a giant version of Nathalie's favorite pen."

     They narrowly escape another blast, hiding behind a car as a shield. "Okay then, I guess it's Nathalie," Marinette says.

     "You have to find somewhere to transform," Cat Noir says.

     "And you have to find somewhere to recharge your kwami," Marinette points out.

     Cat Noir glances down at his ring, which is blinking to remind him he doesn't have much time before he switches back. Sure, Marinette already knows who he really is. But what if a bystander hiding from the Assist-ANT discovered his secret identity?

     "You have to transform," he tells Marinette. "You're not safe here like this, and I won't be either once I switch back."

     "What are you saying?" She asks.

     "I'm saying, your gonna have to watch my back." He gives her a quick kiss on the lips. "I trust you."

     She smiles, and nods determinedly.

     "Just watch out," he says. "All these ants are making my skin crawl..."

     She ignores his pun, and opens her purse. Still hiding behind the car, she says, "Tikki, spots on!"

     She transforms into Ladybug right in front of his eyes, and at almost the same time he switches back to his normal form. He catches Plagg in one hand, and searches around in his jacket pocket with the other.

     "Oh no, I don't have anything for Plagg to eat!" Adrien says, panicked.

     "Don't worry, we'll figure something out," Ladybug says, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

     Suddenly, the car is lifted up by a big group of ants working together. The Assist-ANT cackles, but stops short once she sees the two of them.

     "What are you doing there?" She asks. "Where is Marinette?!"

     "Marinette is safe now," Ladybug replies, spinning her yo-yo to use it as a shield. "You can't do anything to her!"

     Adrien smiles, hiding behind the shield.

     "I may not be able to do anything to her, but I can sure do a lot to you!" The Assist-ANT shouts.

     "Oh, the irony..." Adrien says, and Ladybug rolls her eyes.

     "Just stay close," Ladybug says to him.

     "Like an ant to a picnic," he replies, sticking as close to his girlfriend as he possibly can.

     Ladybug begins to run down the street, dragging Adrien along with her. The Assist-ANT chases after them, blasting at them with her weapon. Ladybug deflects all of the blasts with her yo-yo shield, but a few random people around them get transformed into ants.

     "Where are we going?" Adrien asks.

     "To the bakery," Ladybug replies. "We can feed Plagg something there."

     "Do you have cheese?" Plagg asks.

     Adrien glares at his kwami. "Take a look around, Plagg. I don't think now is any time to be picky!"

     Ladybug is able to protect Adrien –and herself– all the way to her parents' bakery. They rush in, and she quickly slams the door behind her.

     "Ladybug?" Sabine says, shocked. "What are you doing here?"

     "And Adrien?" Tom adds. "Is everything okay?"

     "There isn't really any time to explain," Ladybug tells them. "We have an emergency. Do you have any Camembert?"

     Tom and Sabine exchange confused glances. "I think we might have some in the fridge in our kitchen," Sabine says. "Just go right through that door."

     "Thank you," Ladybug says as Adrien rushes through the door to the kitchen. "Now, you two need to find a place to hide!"