CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: BATTLE

Having transformed into Ladybug and Cat Noir, the two of them sneak downstairs. They search through the house stealthily, until they discover Gabriel Agreste sitting in his office, talking on the phone. They quickly hide behind a column before they are seen.

     "You incompetent fools!" Gabriel screams to whoever is on the other end of the phone. "You don't have a clue how to do your jobs. Don't call me back until you get someone who does!" He then slams the phone down on his desk.

     Ladybug gulps. "You're right, I think you might have riled him up a bit," she whispers.

     Cat Noir sighs. "No better time than now, I guess," he says, standing up from behind the column. Ladybug does the same.

     Gabriel's eyes widen when he catches sight of them entering his office. "What are you two doing here?" He asks, surprised.

     "We were in the neighborhood, and thought we'd drop by," Ladybug says with her best smile.

     "How did you get in?" Gabriel asks with a raised eyebrow.

     "The door was unlocked," Cat Noir lies.

     "So you decided to just walk in?" Gabriel says.

     "It's dangerous to leave your door unlocked," Ladybug says. "Anyone could walk right in."

     "We thought we'd prove that," Cat Noir adds. "Be glad it was us, and not someone horrible... like Hawkmoth."

     Gabriel's face shows no emotion. "I would like for you to leave now," he tells them.

     "But we thought we'd hang around a while," Cat Noir says. "Don't you have a son who might like to see us?"

     "My son is not allowed to see anyone right now," Gabriel says, obviously growing annoyed. "Now, go!"

     "But we really want to visit him," Ladybug says. "We helped save his life once, and want to see how he's doing."

     "I assure you he is fine," Gabriel says, walking towards the front door. "Now please..."

     Before he can finish his sentence, Ladybug and Cat Noir dash back up the stairs. They hear Gabriel growl angrily, and his footsteps as he begins to chase after them.

     They arrive at Adrien's room, and rush in. Gabriel is close behind them, rage all over his face. But when he steps into his son's room and sees that he isn't there (or so he thinks,) a new anger crosses his face.

     "Where is my son?" He asks gravely.

     "Why are you asking us?" Cat Noir says.

     "Something strange is going on here, and I don't like it one bit," Gabriel says. "Now I'm going to ask again... Where. Is. My son?!"

     Ladybug and Cat Noir remain silent. They stand there, motionless, face to face with Gabriel. Standing, staring, observing...

     "Now!" Ladybug shouts.

     Gabriel gasps as the two of them rush at him, reaching for his tie. He ducks, sending them tumbling over him. Ladybug lands sprawled out on the floor, and Cat Noir's head collides with the wall.

     "What is the matter with you?!" Gabriel screams as he takes off running down the stairs.

     "Ouch," Cat Noir says, rubbing his head where he ran into the wall.

     Ladybug helps him up, and gives him a gentle kiss on his head. "All better, Kitty?" She says teasingly.

     "Thanks Milady," Cat Noir says with a smile. "Now, let's make sure this moth never Akumatizes anyone again!"

     The two of them rush down the stairs, but stop suddenly when they hear Gabriel's voice: "Dark wings, rise!" A flash of light comes from inside his office, and out steps...

     "Hawkmoth?" They both say in unison.

     "Don't act so surprised," Hawkmoth growls. "I don't know how you two found out, but that's what this little 'visit' was all about, wasn't it?"

     He pulls out his staff, and blasts a purple beam of light at them. They each jump out of the way just in time.

     "I do not want to find out what that does," Ladybug says.

     Cat Noir still looks shocked. "You okay?" She asks as they avoid another blast.

     "I'm not sure," he admits. "I mean, I had my suspicions but... actually seeing him turn into Hawkmoth? It's a lot to take in."

     The two of them continue to roll and tumble out of the way, as Hawkmoth blasts at them with his staff. The blasts wreak havoc on all the decorations in the house, blowing them to bits.

     "Enough talk!" Hawkmoth shouts. "Now, if you give me your Miraculouses this instant, I might go easy on you."

     "Never!" Ladybug shouts, spinning her yo-yo. "You are going to give us your Miraculous!" She tries to lasso his brooch, but he just deflects her yo-yo with his staff.

     "Foolish girl," Hawkmoth says. "Did you really think it would be that easy?" He blasts at them with his staff, and then runs into his office. They chase after him, protecting themselves with force fields created by her yo-yo and his baton.

     Before they can stop him, Hawkmoth has put the entire house under total lockdown. "Now you two are trapped in here!" He says with an evil chuckle. "You have no choice but to relinquish your Miraculouses!"

     "Cataclysm!" Cat Noir activates his power, and rushes at the lockdown system. But before he gets the chance to destroy it, Hawkmoth uses his staff like a baseball bat and knocks Cat Noir against the desk. His hand touches the desk instead of the system, and the desk disintegrates.

     "You don't have long now," Hawkmoth laughs. "Just hand over your Miraculous, and I'll think about not hurting your girl."

     "What are you talking about?" Cat Noir says.

     Hawkmoth points his staff in the air, and blasts at the chandelier. Before either of them can do anything about it, the chandelier falls on top of Ladybug, pinning her down and knocking her unconscious.

     "No!" Cat Noir shouts. He rushes over to Ladybug, but Hawkmoth aims a blast right between him and her. "Let me go to her! She could be hurt."

     "Not until you give me your Miraculous," Hawkmoth replies.

     Cat Noir stares at Ladybug, pinned down and unable to move. He then looks up at the portrait of his mother. "This isn't how she would have wanted things, you know!" He says.

     Hawkmoth glares at him. "How do you know what she would have wanted? How do you know anything about her?"

     "Because," Cat Noir replies, returning his glare. "I'm her son!" He slides his ring off his finger, and transforms back to his normal self right in front of Hawkmoth.